A sparkling occasion as the Queen visits Manchester
Thousands of royal fans lined the sun-bathed streets of central Manchester to welcome the Queen as she arrived in the city as part of her Diamond Jubilee tour. Photography by Andy Lambert and Sean Hansford
Thousands of royal fans lined the sun-bathed streets of central Manchester to welcome the Queen as she arrived in the city as part of her Diamond Jubilee tour.
Looking pretty in a pink coat dress ensemble, accessorised with black patent shoes and bag, the Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, stepped off the royal train in Victoria Station to be greeted by an army of dignitaries, well-wishers, cadets and a band of young musicians from Chetham’s School of Music. After a brief stop, the couple were driven in a Bentley to officially open the new Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital, St Mary’s and the Eye Hospital next door. More than 1,000 flag-waving NHS workers turned out to cheer the Queen.
A Diamond Jubilee lunch was laid on at Manchester Town Hall. As she left the historic building Her Majesty spoke to delighted newly-weds Frances and John Canning. Afterwards they admitted to being dazzled by the unexpected honour.
Cheshire’s most ardent royal-watcher, Colin Edwards, was in the crowds outside the Town Hall to wish Her Majesty well. Colin, from Macclesfield, has been among spectators at most royal visits to the region in the past 25 years.
The Queen also officially opened the BBC’s new northern home at MediaCity at Salford Quays. She met BBC executives and visited the set of Match of the Day and paid a fleeting visit to the Blue Peter studio.
Photography by Andy Lambert and Sean Hansford
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 4 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 5 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 6 Cornwall's best dog-friendly beaches...and places to eat on the way
- 7 The must-have flowers and plants for gardens in 2021
- 8 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 9 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 10 Al fresco dining in Cornwall: 9 of the best places to go