Aaron Monteverde at Epsom Playhouse – music review
- Credit: Karla Gowlett
Epsom Playhouse was full of drama courtesy of talented Gibraltarian pianist Aaron Monetverde.
In his first ever UK concert, Aaron performed eight pieces with a distinctive Flamenco style, honed during solo recitals and concerts featuring his own compositions and arrangements throughout Spain, Gibraltar and further afield.
Aaron’s relative inexperience in larger-scale performances such as the one presented by Epsom Playhouse, showed in some initial nerves. However, his incredible piano playing talent and endearing personality shone through, quickly settling him and charming his audience as the concert got underway. The piano all but smoked under his rapidly moving fingers.
The evening’s musical repertoire varied from familiar Flamenco pieces to Aaron’s own compositions, including a flamboyant tango and a flowing finale piece, composed at the tender age of 14 for a school exam. Backing up the talented pianist was a smooth Flamenco trio, comprising guitarist Salvador Andrades, percussionist Jim Le Messurier and dancer Michelle Carrier (“La Morenita Flamenca”), whose flowing dresses complimented her liquid movements perfectly, adding a colourful touch to the evening.
The evening was enjoyable, inspirational and refreshingly different. The Flamenco style suited the start of summer perfectly, transporting the audience to sunnier climes, ahead of the main holiday season. Aaron has now made Surrey his home and is touring local school to engage pupils with his flamboyant musical style. This is certainly not the last Epsom has seen of this rising young Gibraltarian pianist.
Share your music and theatre reviews by e-mailing us @ firstname.lastname@example.org – the best will be featured on surreylife.co.uk
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 It’s a Cotswold hat-trick at Chelsea!
- 3 12 great things to do in Tiverton
- 4 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 5 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 6 8 charming market towns you need to visit in Somerset
- 7 Win a fabulous free-range Morton's Norfolk turkey for Christmas!
- 8 Kent's Tom enters the Great British Bake Off tent
- 9 From The Dig to Harry Potter - 5 films shot in Suffolk
- 10 7 of the best spas in Sussex