Aaron Monteverde at Epsom Playhouse – music review
- Credit: Karla Gowlett
Epsom Playhouse was full of drama courtesy of talented Gibraltarian pianist Aaron Monetverde.
In his first ever UK concert, Aaron performed eight pieces with a distinctive Flamenco style, honed during solo recitals and concerts featuring his own compositions and arrangements throughout Spain, Gibraltar and further afield.
Aaron’s relative inexperience in larger-scale performances such as the one presented by Epsom Playhouse, showed in some initial nerves. However, his incredible piano playing talent and endearing personality shone through, quickly settling him and charming his audience as the concert got underway. The piano all but smoked under his rapidly moving fingers.
The evening’s musical repertoire varied from familiar Flamenco pieces to Aaron’s own compositions, including a flamboyant tango and a flowing finale piece, composed at the tender age of 14 for a school exam. Backing up the talented pianist was a smooth Flamenco trio, comprising guitarist Salvador Andrades, percussionist Jim Le Messurier and dancer Michelle Carrier (“La Morenita Flamenca”), whose flowing dresses complimented her liquid movements perfectly, adding a colourful touch to the evening.
The evening was enjoyable, inspirational and refreshingly different. The Flamenco style suited the start of summer perfectly, transporting the audience to sunnier climes, ahead of the main holiday season. Aaron has now made Surrey his home and is touring local school to engage pupils with his flamboyant musical style. This is certainly not the last Epsom has seen of this rising young Gibraltarian pianist.
Share your music and theatre reviews by e-mailing us @ firstname.lastname@example.org – the best will be featured on surreylife.co.uk
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 3 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 4 Win a holiday for two on the Isles of Scilly
- 5 8 of the best places for a bluebell walk in Surrey
- 6 Win a selection of Provence Rose wine
- 7 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 8 The mind-blowing new exhibition at Sculpture by the Lakes in Dorchester
- 9 Off-the-beaten-track beaches in Yorkshire
- 10 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District