Artist Tim Dolby paints watercolours from the Old Forge in Shere
- Credit: Various
Having lived and painted in Surrey all his life, Tim Dolby is an artist with a real affinity for the local landscape. Based at the Old Forge in Shere, where he both works and showcases the wide diversity of his creative style, he says he is constantly inspired by the surrounding countryside.
He first discovered a love of painting in his teens, and has been exploring oils and watercolour ever since, going on to exhibit several times at the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition as well as with The Miniature Society, The Marine Society, The Royal Society of Portrait Painters and the Institute of Watercolour Painters.
Despite his very successful reputation as a traditional artist, however, and his ongoing commissions as a picture restorer, Tim has recently been experimenting with new mediums.
“I have painted in a traditional style for many years,” says Tim, “but I now find that the challenges of a new medium is leading into exciting new dimensions within my work.”
In particular, he has been enjoying creating glass art pictures using the ancient technique of ‘verre églomisé’.
“This is a very old technique, first used in pre-Roman times, which became popular in the 15th century,” explains Tim. “It combines gilding on the back of glass with enamel paints, which produces a depth of colour unobtainable in other ways.
“I always find inspiration from the Surrey countryside and the verre églomisé method is wonderful for capturing the rich colours of the changing landscape.”
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 3 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 4 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 5 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 6 Win a G&H Spirits gin set with Sussex Life
- 7 10 great circular walks in Lancashire
- 8 Win a three nights stay at Nydsley Hall in Pateley Bridge
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 10 Win Castle Howard Prom Tickets & a VIP Hamper
Tim works from his studio in Shere daily and welcomes visitors to discuss his work.
• Tim Dolby at The Forge, Middle Street, Shere, near Guildford GU5 9HF. Tel: 07931 306595. Web: timdolby.co.uk
Surrey Life magazine’s Art Life pages feature the best artists, exhibitions and artworks every month. Subscribe today to never miss an issue.