32 famous people who went to school in Dorset
- Credit: Archant
Celebrities and other famous figures who went to school in Dorset
If you went to school with a celebrity or know someone who did, comment below, tweet us @dorsetmag or get in touch via Facebook. Did you spot their star potential at the time or have they developed it throughout their career?
• Sherborne School for Boys has helped produce a number of future famous figures. Downton Abbey’s Hugh Bonneville, Coldplay’s lead singer Chris Martin, the Third Doctor John Pertwee and the Central Europe Correspondent for BBC News Nick Thorpe all attended the school.
• Bournemouth School has seen a few popular figures in its classrooms; Batman himself Christian Bale, Blur vocalist Alex James and choirmaster Gareth Malone both attended.
• Laura Lopes - the daughter of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and the younger sister of Tom Parker Bowles attended St Mary’s School in Shaftesbury.
• Zara and Peter Phillips - Both of Princess Anne’s children were educated at Port Regis School on the Dorset/Wiltshire border.
• Tony Blackburn (radio DJ) - Castle Court School.
- 1 Win a fabulous free-range Morton's Norfolk turkey for Christmas!
- 2 8 charming market towns you need to visit in Somerset
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 5 The best walks in Dorset to see the autumn leaves
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 8 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 9 You can stay at this adorable Winnie the Pooh 'Bearbnb' in Sussex
- 10 Meet this year's Yorkshire contestant for the Great British Bake Off
• Duncan James - The Blue singer went to Dumpton School in Wimborne.
• Eddie Howe - AFC Bournemouth manager Howe attended Queen Elizabeth’s School in Wimborne Minster.
• Lucian Freud - The German-born British painter attended Bryanston School.
• Adam Lallana (footballer) - St Peter’s Catholic Comprehensive School in Bournemouth.
• Jamie Redknapp (ex-footballer/pundit) - Twynham School in Christchurch.
• Tom Homer (Rugby Union) - Milton Abbey School, Blandford Forum.
• Anthony Allen (Rugby Union) - Clayesmore School, Iwerne Minster.
• Peter Cockroft (BBC weather presenter) - the now closed Swanage Grammar School.
• Tim Biddiscombe (film director) - The Grange School in Christchurch
• @TalbotHeathSch provided us with some great info on their former pupils: “Dame Peggy Ashcroft, actress was a TH girl, as was cellist Natalie Clein and another BBC actress Nicola Duffett. Dr Frances Ashcroft renowned medical researcher is a TH old girl as is Jenny Hare, Journalist, counsellor & author. Baroness Shirley Williams was a TH boarding pupil in the war and spent many hours in our WW2 bunker. Celebrity TV chef Fanny Cradock cooked up a storm at Talbot Heath when she was a pupil! Outstanding sportswomen such as Virginia Wade and Olympic sailor Kate McGrigor also started their sporting careers at TH. Davina Belling became one of the most successful film producers in the UK, she started at Talbot Heath too! Broadcaster and film critic Dilys Powell was a leading figure in the arts during her career, she was a TH girl. Professor Tina Bruce is one of the leading experts globally on Froebel education. We are proud that she was a TH pupil.”
• Eddie Howe on what he loves most about Dorset - Born in Amersham, Buckinghamshire in 1977, Eddie Howe was raised in Verwood on the East Dorset border.
• Website and app helping parents rate and review all education institutions within the UK - School Reviewer has launched a new website to help parents rate and review and uniquely ask other parents questions about all education institutions within the UK.