Chef’s Table with The Latymer’s Matt Worswick
- Credit: Archant
Every month in Surrey Life magazine we discover what inspires Surrey’s top chefs. Here we meet Matt Worswick, head chef at The Latymer restaurant at Pennyhill Park luxury hotel and spa in Bagshot
Originally published in Surrey Life magazine June 2017
What first inspired you to become a chef?
To be honest it wasn’t a natural calling – or standing with granny at the Aga making scones – far from it! I basically needed a job and saw an advertisement in a magazine: “no experience necessary”. I thought, well I can do that!!! I’ve loved it ever since.
Tell us about your proudest achievements so far…
You know what, accolades are nice but I suppose it would be representing the north west on the Great British Menu. It’s a show that I’ve always watched and to be there fighting for the area I’m from was pretty epic.
What’s your ethos at The Latymer?
- 1 Win a diamond ring worth £1,000
- 2 Photography focus: 5 stunning Yorkshire Dales landscapes
- 3 From The Dig to Harry Potter - 5 films shot in Suffolk
- 4 4 interesting places to visit in the Peak District
- 5 Win a watercolour painting of Gosfield by artist James Merriott
- 6 How a Suffolk man landed a film fan’s dream job on The Dig
- 7 13 Derbyshire-based lockdown films you can watch at home
- 8 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 9 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 10 Hope springs for a wilder Derbyshire
Our ethos is to provide a great dining experience, first and foremost. I want the customers to come, relax and have a nice evening. My style of food is European¬based but I get influences from everywhere.
Do you have a signature dish?
I have a lot of dishes I really like but I suppose it’s ‘celeriac’ that has been on the menu since I started here. I serve it with truffle and lovage. It’s an underestimated dish on the menu but people do like it.
How do you go about sourcing your ingredients?
I work a lot with Simon Taylor, from Oxshott’s Surrey Hills Butchers. He’s a cool guy and his produce is epic. They’re always professional, very approachable and passionate, and the guys wear bow ties every day which gets thumbs up in my book.
Do you still enjoy cooking at home?
I cook every now and again at home – it’s a bit of a busman’s holiday I suppose.
Finally, if you had to create the ultimate ‘Surrey’ dish for a banquet, what would it be…
It would be a venison dish I ran through the winter. It’s an incredible ingredient that shouts autumn/winter time – I served it with pear, ceps and walnuts. Watch this space for a summer dish…
• Matt Worswick at The Latymer, Pennyhill Park Hotel & The Spa, London Road, Bagshot, Surrey GU19 5EU. Tel: 01276 486156 Web: pennyhillpark.co.uk
NEXT UP: Waters Edge’s Aneke Spacie appears in July’s Surrey Life magazine
If you would like to feature in Surrey Life’s Chef’s Table column, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org