Chichester Head Master to lead choir schools
- Credit: Archant
The Head Master of The Prebendal School in Chichester has taken over the reins of the Choir Schools’ Association. Tim Cannell succeeded Roger Overend as Chairman of the CSA on 1st September 2014.
Tim says he is delighted and honoured to serve: “The Choir Schools’ Association is an organisation that promotes and helps to ensure the future of our cultural heritage. Our Choristers regularly enhance the worship in our Cathedrals, Abbeys and Churches throughout the country and the quality of their singing is renowned throughout the world.”
“Choir schools offer a unique education not just for the Choristers themselves but for all the other children that attend the schools. The quality and love of music is often awe inspiring and certainly our Choristers’ close links with Chichester Cathedral give a real richness to the life of the community.”
“There is nothing better than to end the day in quiet contemplation listening to the Choir sing Evensong. This time of quiet reflection and worship is a time that encourages the recharging of batteries and keeping a real sense of balance in one’s life.”
Mr Cannell studied Comparative Religion/Theology at King Alfred’s College, Winchester and has an MA in Educational Management from the Open University. He began his teaching career in primary schools and was Care Officer at the Royal School for the Deaf. He was Head of an international school in Papua New Guinea
before moving into the independent sector. He is also a team inspector with the Independent Schools Inspectorate.
The CSA is the umbrella organisation for 34 choir schools educating choristers for cathedral and collegiate foundations in the UK. A further 10 choral foundations and five schools overseas also belong to the Association which was founded in 1918 to oversee the welfare and educational needs of choristers.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Gardoolet: WIN this summer's best garden game
- 3 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 4 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 5 Are you ready for the greatest show this summer?
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 Win a luxury break at The Draycott Hotel in Chelsea
- 9 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 10 Afternoon tea in Kent: 15 of the best tearooms