Corrie’s Geoff Metcalfe and the actor who plays him
- Credit: Archant
Ian Bartholomew who lives in Malpas has a glittering career in theatre and television
As Coronation Street, the world’s longest-running soap opera moves back to six episodes a week, here is a top 10 of fascinating facts about wife abuser and public enemy number one Geoff Metcalfe, of Number 6, Coronation Street, Weatherfield, and Ian Bartholomew, who lives in the Cheshire town of Malpas, who plays Geoff on screen.
1. Geoff’s home (for now) is number 6 Coronation Street, where he lived with his wife Yasmeen before she was arrested for attacking him with a broken wine bottle after months of humiliation and psychological abuse. Number 6 is the middle house of the new terraces. Past residents have included Steph and Des Barmes, Natalie Horrocks and the Windass family. It is the house where Charlie Stubbs was murdered by Tracy Barlow in another domestic abuse storyline.
2. Ian Bartholomew has lived in the small Cheshire town of Malpas for the past 15 years with his real-life wife, the theatre director Loveday Ingram. They moved there from London when Loveday was expecting their first child, and their home, which they are renovating, is the house where Loveday grew up.
3. Geoff’s jobs include DJ at Weatherfield General, magician, and co-owner of the Speed Daal restaurant.
4. Ian Bartholomew’s career in acting spans more than 40 years. On the stage, he has played everything from musical theatre to Shakespeare. He is a four times Olivier Awards nominee, won the Manchester Evening News award for Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of Doolittle in Pygmalion at the city’s Royal Exchange, and had rave reviews for his role in Brecht’s The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui in Liverpool and Nottingham. On television, his back catalogue includes Heartbeat, The Darling Buds of May, Wycliffe, Crown Court, The Professionals, Minder, The Bill, Spooks, New Tricks, Foyle’s War and Maigret.
5. Yasmeen and Geoff got together after he first courted Audrey Roberts. They married in Las Vegas, much to the horror of Yasmeen’s family.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 It’s a Cotswold hat-trick at Chelsea!
- 3 Win a fabulous free-range Morton's Norfolk turkey for Christmas!
- 4 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 5 12 great things to do in Tiverton
- 6 8 charming market towns you need to visit in Somerset
- 7 You can stay at this adorable Winnie the Pooh 'Bearbnb' in Sussex
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 10 11 of the prettiest villages in North Devon
6. Ian and Loveday first met in 1999 when she was assistant director for the West End production of Mamma Mia! Geoff auditioned for the romantic lead (played by Pierce Brosnan in the movie), and despite Loveday saying he ‘sang like an angel’ he didn’t get the part, because he was shorter than the new leading lady, Louise Plowright. The following year they worked together on a play in Chichester, fell in love, and have been together ever since...
7. Geoff’s screen age is 70; his date of birth is recorded as April 24, 1950
8. Ian was born in Hampshire on August 23, making him 66. He started singing at the age of eight, got the acting bug at 14, and has been a part of the performing arts ever since
9. Geoff’s abuse of his wife Yasmeen has made him one of the most reviled characters in Coronation Street history and attracted widespread revulsion and reaction on social media.
10. Ian and Loveday are now working together to support charities for victims of domestic abuse, including Women’s Aid and Cheshire Without Abuse, and Ian has written a song, which he is planning to release to raise money for Women’s Aid. Just before the storyline about Yasmeen attacking him aired, Ian presented a YouTube video for Women’s Aid advising telling victims of abuse how they can get help.