Devon Artist nominated for award
- Credit: Archant
A Devon artist who transforms rags into riches has been shortlisted for a national award - and is appealing for the local vote.
Textile artist Jackie Gale is one of seven to be nominated in the Up & Coming Artist 2014 award by the Fine Art Trade Guild in London.
She is battling it out in the public vote against her six talented opponents from across the country.
Jackie, aged 44, of Yealmpton, transforms fabrics into creative and colourful artwork using embroidery and appliqué techniques. Some of her recent work includes the Royal William Yard, The Hoe and North Sands, Salcombe. She is particularly known for her quirky but appealing ‘cow family’. Her work has attracted attention both locally and nationally and sells works in a number of galleries across the country.
Jackie said: “Many people ask what a textile artist is. It’s actually just the correct term for someone who creates art using fibres,in my case fabric. I also use an assortment of goodies such as vintage maps, buttons, twine and handmade paper which all add to the depth or as I like to call it the ‘touchy feely’ effect.”
Jackie has always enjoyed creating with textiles and other than a few workshops she is predominately self taught. She turned professional last summer and hasn’t looked back. Living in the South West means she is never short of inspiration as she simply turns places she loves into fabric. Jackie believes anything and any place can be created in textile and she plans to spend years attempting this. She spends much of her time sketching and photographing scenes which inspire her.
Jackie added: “I can’t believe I’ve been nominated for such a fantastic award. It really is a privilege. It would be great if the people of Plymouth and Devon could get behind me and vote.”
The award ceremony takes place in Elstree, London on May 17. To vote for Jackie log on to the link http://www.fineart.co.uk/up-and-coming-artist-award-2014.aspx.
- 1 Photography focus: 5 stunning Yorkshire Dales landscapes
- 2 Win a watercolour painting of Gosfield by artist James Merriott
- 3 From The Dig to Harry Potter - 5 films shot in Suffolk
- 4 Afternoon tea deliveries in Norfolk
- 5 Afternoon tea deliveries in the Cotswolds
- 6 How a Suffolk man landed a film fan’s dream job on The Dig
- 7 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 8 12 beautiful photographs of daffodils in Lancashire
- 9 Exploring the ancient art of yarn dyeing in Derbyshire
- 10 Recipe: Make our peanut caramel poke cake
Voting closes March 12, 2014.
To discover more of her work, log on to her website www.jackiegaletextileart.com