There are now baby Chesters in the county
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The most popular baby names in Cheshire
Chester has entered the 2019 top 100 names for boys — with five babies registered in the county bearing the county town’s moniker.
In Cheshire East, out of the 1,895 boys registered, the top five names were George, Oliver, Harry, Freddie and Thomas. Of the 1760 girls, Olivia, Isla, Ameilia, Charlotte and Evie took the top places. There were four Chesters in the list.
In Cheshire West and Chester 1756 boys were registered, with George again topping the list followed by Harry, Oliver, Theo and Alfie. One little boy was named Chester. Olivia, Amelia, Freya, Ava and Isla were the top five names chosen for 1610 girls.
Nationally, the figures issued by the Office for National Statistics show Oliver and Olivia remained the most popular name for boys and girls in England and Wales.
Freya and Lily replaced Emily and Ella in the top 10 girls’ names, while there were no new entries in the top 10 boys’ names in 2019.
Alfred, Chester, Hudson, Ibrahim and Oakley entered the 2019 top 100 boys’ names replacing Alex, Dexter, Dominic, Kai, Sonny and Tobias.
- 1 Win a luxury Christmas hamper worth £250 from Bakers & Larners of Holt
- 2 WIN a stunning Jo Downs art piece worth £520
- 3 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 4 8 beautiful towns in Kent to visit over Christmas
- 5 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 6 Win a £5000 staycation in Cornwall
- 7 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 8 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 9 12 of the best Christmas events in Surrey
- 10 Magical Christmas markets in Kent 2021
Lara and Mabel replaced Aisha and Francesca in the top 100 girls’ names; Mabel has not been in the top 100 since 1924.
More unusual names growing in popularity and registered in Cheshire included a mixture of the old and new, ancient and modern, with Albie, Reggie, Jaxon, Ezra, Gabriel, Caleb and Oakley in the boys’ list, while the girls featured Aurora, Violet, Hallie, Mila, Maryam, Sienna, Ada, Delilah and Margot.