There are now baby Chesters in the county
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The most popular baby names in Cheshire
Chester has entered the 2019 top 100 names for boys — with five babies registered in the county bearing the county town’s moniker.
In Cheshire East, out of the 1,895 boys registered, the top five names were George, Oliver, Harry, Freddie and Thomas. Of the 1760 girls, Olivia, Isla, Ameilia, Charlotte and Evie took the top places. There were four Chesters in the list.
In Cheshire West and Chester 1756 boys were registered, with George again topping the list followed by Harry, Oliver, Theo and Alfie. One little boy was named Chester. Olivia, Amelia, Freya, Ava and Isla were the top five names chosen for 1610 girls.
Nationally, the figures issued by the Office for National Statistics show Oliver and Olivia remained the most popular name for boys and girls in England and Wales.
Freya and Lily replaced Emily and Ella in the top 10 girls’ names, while there were no new entries in the top 10 boys’ names in 2019.
Alfred, Chester, Hudson, Ibrahim and Oakley entered the 2019 top 100 boys’ names replacing Alex, Dexter, Dominic, Kai, Sonny and Tobias.
- 1 How to find out about your seafearing Dorset ancestors
- 2 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 3 Win a unique candles and country house prize
- 4 Why you should visit RSPB Leighton Moss nature reserve
- 5 Win a tropical trip for two to Mauritius
- 6 3 pretty walks with farmer's markets in Derbyshire
- 7 WIN flowers, chocolates and Prosecco for Valentine's Day
- 8 Win a relaxing spa stay for two at The QHotels Collection
- 9 This Devon walk takes in two pretty villages
- 10 See inside this 6-bedroom family home in Charlton Kings on the market for £1.59 million
Lara and Mabel replaced Aisha and Francesca in the top 100 girls’ names; Mabel has not been in the top 100 since 1924.
More unusual names growing in popularity and registered in Cheshire included a mixture of the old and new, ancient and modern, with Albie, Reggie, Jaxon, Ezra, Gabriel, Caleb and Oakley in the boys’ list, while the girls featured Aurora, Violet, Hallie, Mila, Maryam, Sienna, Ada, Delilah and Margot.