Goosebumps - film review
- Credit: Hopper Stone, SMPSP
Causing sleepless nights for a generation of terrified school children, R L Stine’s monstrous creations have been resurrected from literary limbo for a contemporary update.
A maniacal ventriloquist’s dummy, killer lawn gnomes and a behemoth praying mantis are just some of the multifarious ghouls intent on reeking supernatural havoc in the sleepy suburb of Madison, Delaware. New neighbour Zach (Dylan Minnette) inadvertently unleashes the first of many demons after rummaging through Stine’s deadly collection of Goosebumps manuscripts.
Teaming up with the novelist’s picture perfect daughter Hannah (Odeya Rush) and socially awkward sidekick Champ (Ryan Lee) the unlikely quartet set off to round up Stine’s army of destructive spooks. Jack Black puts in a humorously frenzied performance as the reclusive nom de plume author providing his usual deft comic timing along with a somewhat iffy English accent. Given the PG rating any real scares are few and far between and end up disappointingly pantomime-esque, losing the nostalgic creepiness of the genuinely unnerving 90s television series. Underwhelming FX effects add little to this poppy family fodder but as half term watches go it is infectiously goofy.
Rating: 3 stars
Run Time: 103 mins
Director: Rob Letterman
- 1 Who is the real Hampshire soldier behind BBC Two's new drama Danny Boy?
- 2 Win £500 of English wine from Lyme Bay Winery
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 5 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 6 Win a modern Guernsey cushion cover kit
- 7 Cornwall's weirdest pub names
- 8 13 beautiful riverside pubs to visit in the Cotswolds
- 9 Fish and chips in Cornwall you need to try
- 10 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
Cast: Jack Black, Dylan Minnette, Odeya Rush, Amy Ryan, Ryan Lee
• Black Mass - film review - Hailed as Johnny Depp’s long-awaited comeback performance, Black Mass sees the idiosyncratic actor behind a distracting layer of prosthetics and icy blue contact lenses.