Green People founder Charlotte Vohtz on the places she loves most in Sussex
- Credit: Archant
Charlotte Vohtz is the founder of Green People. She was a pioneer of organic beauty and authored a book, Naturally Gorgeous. Here she tells us about her life in West Sussex
Charlotte Vøhtz moved to the UK from her native Denmark in 1997. Originally a nurse, she became interested in organic beauty when searching for a treatment for the eczema and allergies that her daughter Sandra (pictured with Charlotte) suffered as a small child. Sixteen years later Green People (www.greenpeople.co.uk) is a multi award-winning company and Charlotte is a highly respected expert in organics, and helped the Soil Association to set the standard in natural and organic cosmetics.
As one would expect, Charlotte is a nature lover – in fact it’s one of the reasons she lives in Sussex: “Sussex has got it all – beautiful nature, close to the sea, charming towns with local food produce and award-winning restaurants.” Including her favourites, both in Horsham: Restaurant Tristan and Wabi. For more casual dining, Charlotte favours “Our local pub The Blue Ship in Billingshurst...a small, cosy pub with an authentic atmosphere and great food. I can especially recommend their burgers (there is also a vegetarian option available).”
A keen photographer – she says her camera is the one possession she couldn’t live without – Charlotte loves seaside views, particularly “the sunsets by the pier in Worthing” and loves to walk her dog Saffie (also pictured) near their house: “I’m fortunate enough to be surrounded by fields and woodland. It has it all - deer, pheasants and lots of little streams.”
Her perfect weekend would be a girlie spa get-together at Bailiffscourt Hotel & Spa in Climping, while South Lodge, near Horsham, is earmarked for a special occasion. “It was my first encounter with Sussex back in 1986.”
For newcomers, Charlotte suggests a visit to Arundel Castle. “It has been the family home of the Dukes of Norfolk for over nine centuries. The castle contains a lovely collection of paintings, furniture, tapestries and armour dating back to the 12th century.” And by setting the standard for natural, cruelty-free beauty, Charlotte is making history herself.
• 29 famous people who went to school in Sussex - Celebrities and other famous figures who went to school in Sussex.
• Interview with Ryan Heal - Rockinghorse Children’s Charity Chief Executive - Ryan Heal is Chief Executive of Rockinghorse Children’s Charity. This proud Brightonian had a powerful and personal reason for changing career, and is tireless in his support for local charities.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Win Castle Howard Prom Tickets & a VIP Hamper
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 10 excellent fish and chip shops in Kent
- 5 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 6 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 7 18 things to do in the Cotswolds in August
- 8 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 9 10 of the best restaurants in Hastings
- 10 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire