Hospitality industry’s help for Norwich rough sleepers
- Credit: Archant
Volunteers from the hospitality industry have been out to help charity Only A Pavement Away distribute ‘winter warmth’ kits to rough sleepers across the city
A team of volunteers from the hospitality industry has been out in force to help charity Only A Pavement Away distribute 'winter warmth' kits to rough sleepers across Norwich. This was part of a national campaign where 35 volunteers distributed 3,000 items of clothing and blankets and 18,000 tea bags across four cities all on the same day. .
The volunteers handed out blankets, sleeping bags, coats, gloves, socks, flasks and tea bags in special OAPA branded waterproof backpacks, to help the homeless survive the cold winter months.
Norwich's homelessness problem has continued to escalate in recent years, with the number of people sleeping rough increasing from 250 to 400 in the four years to March 2018.
The charity encourages people to sign up to a scheme that would see them given opportunities to find jobs in the hospitality, pub and restaurant industry.
Chief executive Greg Mangham said: "I am absolutely overwhelmed by people's generosity. We set up various collection points across Norwich to accept blankets, coats and other items of clothing and we were completely inundated with donations. We also had hordes of people from across the hospitality industry give up their morning to help pack the goodies into special waterproof kit bags and hand them out to the homeless."
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 3 WIN a stay at Hornington Manor's new shepherd huts
- 4 Win a luxury break at The Draycott Hotel in Chelsea
- 5 Win a two-night stay for two at the Telegraph Hotel in Coventry
- 6 Gardoolet: WIN this summer's best garden game
- 7 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 8 23 places to find the best views in Devon
- 9 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 10 Blue Flag Beaches in Kent 2021