Max Whitlock visits former Hemel Hempstead school
- Credit: PIERRE-MELION-PHOTOGRAPHY
Olympic and Commonwealth champion gymnast Max Whitlock paid a visit to his former school in Hemel Hempstead
Children at a Hemel Hempstead school were given an unforgettable day when ex-pupil Olympic and Commonwealth champion Max Whitlock paid a visit. The 25-year-old gymnast was at Nash Mills Church of England Primary to thank the school for its support. During the visit he demonstrated gymnastic skills and showed his medals, including the gold and silver, he won at the Commonwealth Games in Australia this year. He held a Q&A session with pupils and joined a PE lesson.
Max said: ‘This is a school that supported me through those primary years and it’s good to come back and visit – I’ve had an amazing welcome.’
Headteacher Rosie Washford Mower said, ‘To have somebody inspirational is one thing, but to have somebody who is not only inspirational but also sat in this school as a child, on this floor for assembly every day and came in to have PE – you don’t get that very often.’
The GB athlete, who now lives in Essex, attended Nash Mills before moving on to Longdean School in Hemel. He has won 27 major championship medals in his career so far.
The visit was organised by Team England’s official partner npower to thank the school for its support during the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- 1 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 2 Win a theatre break in Manchester to see The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
- 3 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 4 Win a luxury Christmas hamper worth £250 from Bakers & Larners of Holt
- 5 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 6 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 7 Magical Christmas markets in Sussex 2021
- 8 Win a £5000 staycation in Cornwall
- 9 Lancashire Recipes - Butter Pie
- 10 The 11 best Christmas markets in Somerset 2021