Meet the new Dean of Chichester - The Venerable Stephen Waine
- Credit: JIm Holden
The Venerable Stephen Waine, Archdeacon of Dorset, has been appointed as the new Dean of Chichester.
The new Dean will formally commence his post on 14 February 2015 when he is installed as Dean of Chichester in the Cathedral. Stephen Waine studied Economic and Social Studies at the University of East Anglia before training for the priesthood at Westcott House, Cambridge. After ordination he served as Assistant Curate of St Peter’s Church in Wolverhampton for four years and then, in 1988, became Minor Canon and Succentor of St Paul’s Cathedral. More recently he has served in Romford and Dorset.
Stephen has two children, Will (22) and Lucy (20) and he enjoys music, sailing, playing golf and entertaining friends.
The Bishop, the Right Reverend Dr Martin Warner, said: “The appointment of Stephen Waine as Dean of Chichester is very good news indeed. Stephen’s range of priestly ministry embraces Cathedral, Parish and Diocesan responsibilities. This rich blend of experience has exactly the texture of use and availability that should mark our Cathedral as a centre for the worship of God and witness to Jesus Christ, serving the whole Diocese and people of Sussex. Stephen joins a committed and energetic Chapter at a moment of creative expansion in their future planning. Together they will make a great team.” Stephen himself said: “I am looking forward to getting to know the congregation, staff and volunteers at the Cathedral, and all the people throughout the wider Diocese for whom the Cathedral is their mother Church. Chichester Cathedral is an inspiring blend of ancient and modern, a place of worship and also a place of culture and community. “I look forward to becoming part of its life and furthering the many ways in which it seeks to serve the people of Sussex.”
• Midhurst resident Christine Farrell on piloting a Spitfire, flying VIPs and studying for her MSc• Staff at Park Cameras to run between Burgess Hill and London to raise money for St. Peter & St. James’ Hospice• Shoreham College to begin 2015 with new Headmaster
- 1 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 4 WIN a stay at Hornington Manor's new shepherd huts
- 5 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 6 Win a luxury break at The Draycott Hotel in Chelsea
- 7 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 8 17 of the best things to do in Essex for free
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 10 8 secluded secret beaches in North Devon