My North Leeds Life - Lisa Gair, The Yummy Yank
- Credit: Archant
Lisa Gair is The Yummy Yank, a baker specialising in American desserts. She’s lived in Bramhope for 15 years.
‘I met my husband in London 17 years ago and we moved to Yorkshire two years later. We knew nothing about the place and must have visited every village before we found Bramhope.
‘I discovered a local farmers’ market and decided to bake some cakes to sell every month. Then it became two markets, then three and more and more. The response was amazing and the business has continued to snowball.
‘American cakes are very different. They’re bigger and richer and are packed with flavours and ingredients you might not be too familiar with. But, boy, do you Brits like them.
‘When we found our house here in Bramhope, we knew it was for us immediately. It would take something special to tempt us away. We’re in the foothills of the Dales and very close to Leeds city centre. And we’re lucky enough to be part of a beautiful community. We genuinely have the nicest neighbours in the world. People care about each other, and that’s not something you find everywhere.’
Tell us about your North Leeds life by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, tweeting @Yorkshire_LIFE or writing to Yorkshire Life, PO Box 163 Ripon, North Yorkshire, HG4 9AG.
- 1 Win a holiday for two on the Isles of Scilly
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 16 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 4 6 great walks near Dunsop Bridge
- 5 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 6 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 7 16 of the best beer gardens in Essex
- 8 Sussex pubs with beer gardens to visit this summer
- 9 7 fab Devon pubs with outdoor spaces
- 10 8 of the best places for a bluebell walk in Surrey