New Haw artist named Surrey Artist of the Year 2015
- Credit: NA
The 2015 Surrey Artist of the Year was named in a ceremony at the New Ashgate Gallery in Farnham
Originally published in Surrey Life magazine January 2016
This year’s Surrey Artist of the Year has been named as abstract photographer Christiane Zschommler, from New Haw, whose striking images capture the magical waterscapes of the Basingstoke Canal.
Her stunning photos, which at times look almost like paintings, will now be the subject of a major solo exhibition at the New Ashgate Gallery in Farnham.
Runner-up this year was Christine Hopkins from Reigate, whose new collection of dry-point, mono-print etchings invite you in to a story beyond the imagery, while in third place was Naomi Beevers from Guildford with her quirky sculptural-style pieces.
“The standard this year was exceptional,” says interim director at the New Ashgate Gallery, Caroline Jackman, who was also a judge. “We are blessed to be in a county of such wonderfully talented artists and makers, but it does make the judging extremely difficult!”
- 1 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 2 Magical Christmas markets in Suffolk 2021
- 3 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 4 12 best Devon Christmas markets for 2021
- 5 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 6 5 pumpkin patches to visit in Sussex this autumn
- 7 10 great Halloween events in Lancashire
- 8 The 15 best Christmas markets in Norfolk 2021
- 9 Spooky ghost tours and ghost hunting events in Kent
- 10 Timothée Chalamet seen in Bath filming Willy Wonka prequel
Now in its seventh year, the prestigious competition is run jointly by the New Ashgate Gallery and Surrey Artists’ Open Studios, with visitors to the latter invited to vote for their favourite artists each summer.
The winners of this stage are then showcased in an exhibition at the New Ashgate Gallery, with the public once again invited to nominate
their favourites, before the panel of judges, which includes Surrey Life editor Caroline Harrap, select their top three.
All very talented local artists, here is a full list of the finalists from the Surrey Artist of the Year 2015
• Bonnita Apperley, Reigate
• Naomi Beevers, Guildford
• Jane Bohane, Holmbury St Mary
• Diana Croft, Dorking
• Christine Hopkins, Reigate
• Iona Mackenzie Laycock, Clandon
• Faye Mayo, Caterham
• Vicky Oldfield, Thames Ditton
• Malcolm West, Hersham
• Elly Wright, Epsom
• Christiane Zschommler, New Haw