WATCH: 15 classic videos look back at Essex’s times gone by
- Credit: Archant
Even though much has changed around Essex we can still be transported back to simpler times through footage documenting our ancestors’ lives. Here are 15 clips that show our county’s historic past
1) Hanningfield Reservoir
"With water from nearby rivers civilization is simply washing its hands of this tiny hamlet and its once green valley"
2) Nazi plane crashes in Clacton
"The wreckage of war comes to the peaceful seaside town of Clacton. By a fantastic twist of fate this was no deliberate attack but was caused by the power of our own defences"
3) Hatfield Peverel Pram Race
"This is the Pram National over a course nine miles long, twice the distance of Aintree"
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 3 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 4 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 5 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 6 7 magical bluebell walks in Devon
- 7 Sing along to the Cheshire Life song
- 8 10 Dorset towns you really must visit
- 9 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 10 8 of the best places for a bluebell walk in Surrey
4) Colchester Castle
"The Romans were the kings of this castle at Colchester, the first Roman colony to be set up in Britain"
5) Little Baddow cricket bat making
"Down in the village they have an important job to do. It's Little Baddow in Essex where Mr Walter Walsop makes cricket bats for the famous"
More of Essex on your screens:
6) Burnham Regatta
"Essex. 'A Cowes in miniature'. The little boats 'have their day' at popular Burnham-on-Crouch Regatta"
7) Wethersfield US Airbase
"Sanity comes in the shape of the Romford Boys Band, an army of youngsters who regularly capture Wethersfield with their stirring half time display"
8) Home Defence in Woodford
"This is the human story of the King's arrival in Woodford, Essex, where he inspects 2000 men of the local defence volunteers"
9) South Ockendon Housewives Revolt
"Only we, the women, can bring down the cost of living. Get together now in your own districts and in your own towns"
10) Pollard's Cross
"We were bound for Pollard's Cross, to seek a charming and talented artist"
Visit some of the places in the videos yourself:
11) Maldon Salt
"Nowadays in these parts they're developing our taste for salt. On the Blackwater Estuary, Maldon, they're carrying on something the ancient Britons started: making salt in what is probably the world's only crystal sea salt factory"
12) Epping Forest
"Epping Forest was acquired for the nation by the Corporation of London in 1882 when it was declared open by Queen Victoria"
13) Leigh-on-Sea Cockle Fishing
"Leaving Leigh-on-Sea, the Osbornes set out for the mud banks along the Essex coast"
14) Brentwood Carnival
"The town's 50,000 people were determined that a good time would be had by all and the biggest possible profit made"
15) Hydroplane Racing on Gosfield Lake
"At Gosfield Lake, carefully cleared of submerged weeds, members of the Essex Hydroplane Racing Club get together for a practice run"