QUICK KERNOW: ST IVES AUTHOR LIZ KESSLER
The Summer Reading Challenge encourages children to read six books in the holidays including St Ives-based author Liz Kessler's Emily Windsnap series
This week the nationwide Summer Reading Challenge starts which encourages children to read six books over the summer holidays and St Ives-based author Liz Kessler has been selected as a recommended author for Emily Windsnap and the Land of the Midnight Sun. This is a fantastic challenge which makes reading fun and really kick-starts children’s reading so it is a fantastic to be part of it.
Liz was inspired by the beautiful seaside to write her phenomenally popular Emily Windsnap novels about a girl who discovers she is a mermaid!
In her latest book 'Has Anyone Seen Jessica Jenkins?' Liz moves into the world of the superpowers. Imagine finding out you have a superpower! This is what happens when Jessica Jenkins’s arm vanishes in the middle of a geography lesson and discovers she has the power to turn invisible! Where has this ability come from and, when her friends are threatened, can Jessica use her superpower to help?
We asked Liz to give us a few of her favourite things about Cornwall.
Porthmeor - for the surf and the sunsets.
- 1 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 4 Win a G&H Spirits gin set with Sussex Life
- 5 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 6 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 Win a three nights stay at Nydsley Hall in Pateley Bridge
- 9 Afternoon tea in Kent: 15 of the best tearooms
- 10 7 great walks near Kirkby Lonsdale
Pretty much any section of the coast path in Cornwall - it's all beautiful!
Favourite place to eat
There are so many good places to eat! I'm going to pick three of my faves. How about Porthmeor Café for breakfast, Tremenheere Gardens Café for lunch and the Halsetown pub for dinner!
Favourite flavour of Cornwall
Walking along the harbour with a mint choc chip ice cream. Perfection!
Has Anyone Seen Jessica Jenkins? by Liz Kessler is published 14 August 2014.