Stevenage dwarfs serenade Simon Cowell, thanks to Cheryl Cole
Simon Cowell celebrated his birthday in style when his fellow X Factor judge Cheryl Cole hired three panto dwarfs to serenade him.
Simon Cowell, the multi-millionaire music mogul behind the X Factor and Britain’s Got Talent, recently celebrated his birthday in style thanks to an unusual present from fellow judge Cheryl Cole.
Instead of buying him a bottle of wine and box of chocolates, Cheryl hired a trio of dwarfs, including Ray Griffiths and Darren Horan, to serenade him outside the X Factor studios.
Ray and Darren are two of the stars of this year’s pantomime Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at The Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage. Running from 27th November 2010 until 23rd January 2011, it is one of the longest running pantos in the country.
For Simon’s birthday, Ray, who will be playing Smiler, played the drum and Darren, who will be playing Allergy, played an accordion as they sang happy birthday with Phil Holden, who played the Genie in the Gordon Craig’s production of ‘Aladdin’ in 2009.
Simon was so impressed with their rendition that he invited them to join him for the rest of the day and watch the groups rehearse for the live show.
Phil said, ‘Simon saw us and asked “Are you for me?” before bursting out laughing. He thought it was the best birthday present he’d ever had.’ Praise indeed from a man who has made his millions spotting musical talent!
To see Ray and Darren, along with the rest of the Magnificent Seven, book tickets which start from �15, at the box office on 01438 363 200 or visit www.gordon-craig.co.uk
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Tolkien fans won't want to miss this Middle-Earth exhibition in Basingstoke
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
- 5 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 6 'Gastro-Glastonbury' festival is heading to Bournemouth
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 9 13 of the best afternoon teas to try in Cornwall
- 10 6 of the best August walks in Cheshire