The High Sheriff’s Legal Service, Derby Cathedral
- Credit: Archant
The Legal Service ‘In thanksgiving for our freedom under the law, the Queen’s peace and our national heritage’ is one of the most significant occasions in the High Sheriff’s year of office
Dating back at least 1,000 years, the role of High Sheriff involves acting as the Sovereign’s representative in the county for the maintenance of law and order, and matters relating to the Judiciary.
The service organised by High Sheriff David Coleman QPM, DL took place on 12th October at The Cathedral Church of All Saints in Derby, and was preceded by a reception and luncheon at Masa Restaurant.
The service began with the traditional Cathedral and High Sheriff’s Processions. Members of the choir and clergy progressed through the street to the cathedral before moving through the nave to take up their places. They were followed by Justices of the Peace, Judges and High Sheriffs of neighbouring counties. A dramatic fanfare by members of the Derwent Brass ensemble began the service which also included stirring renditions of Elgar’s Pomp and Circumstance March No.4, John Bull’s ‘Pavane’, ‘All people that on earth do dwell’, ‘O worship the King’ and ‘For all the saints’. The cathedral choir also gave a lovely solo performance of the Kyrie from Vaughan Williams’ Mass in G.
The High Sheriff spoke of the importance of valuing the civil liberties that we all enjoy, of ‘acknowledging our debt to those who ensure their preservation’ and that ‘true liberty and justice are the gifts of God alone.’ The Very Revd Dr John Davies, Dean of Derby, greeted the congregation and led the prayers, while the sermon – a moving personal story about discovering the meaning of Christianity in an unlikely place – was given by the Revd Jonathan Page SCP, High Sheriff’s Chaplain.
As the service concluded members of the Derbyshire Federation of Women’s Institutes prepared to serve tea and homemade cakes to the congregation on behalf of the High Sheriff.
- 1 Win a £1000 rug from Alternative Flooring
- 2 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 3 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 4 Win an amazing festive break for two in Devon
- 5 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 6 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 7 Inside the Devon home shortlisted for House of the Year on Grand Designs
- 8 Win a Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 Digital Charcoal Grill and Smoker
- 9 Surrey Life meets Strictly costume designer Vicky Gill
- 10 Magical Christmas markets in Sussex 2021