My favourite place - Wayne Hemingway
- Credit: not Archant
Wayne Hemingway kicks off our new series by recalling special family memories from around Morecambe Bay.
My mum would take me to a beautiful spot at Half Moon Bay, Heysham, Morecambe Bay where there was a slab of rock shaped like a sunbed that faced just the right way to get the sun most of the day – she’d douse us in vinegar and olive oil and we’d fry on the rock in the sun. I remember we had to clamber over rocks to get to the ‘Hemingway Hotel’ as we christened it. When I go back to our annual Vintage by the Sea in Morecambe, the first thing I do is put on my running shoes and run along the prom, take in those views across the bay to mountain peaks of the Lakes and go to that rock to spend a few minutes thinking about my mum. The views are compromised a tad by the nearby power station but it’s still a lovely quiet spot and that smell of vinegar and olive oil always comes flooding back.
What’s your favourite place?
Share your special Lancashire location and why it means so much to you. Send a photo and a brief explanation to: email@example.com or tweet us at @lancashirelife.
‘Originally from Preston but teaching abroad, currently in Vietnam; my favourite two places in Lancashire would have to be Lancaster and Garstang.’
Catherine Eastham, via email.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 3 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
- 4 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 5 Tolkien fans won't want to miss this Middle-Earth exhibition in Basingstoke
- 6 13 of the best afternoon teas to try in Cornwall
- 7 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 8 'Gastro-Glastonbury' festival is heading to Bournemouth
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 10 6 of the best August walks in Cheshire