Top tips on selecting the perfect engagement or wedding ring
- Credit: Archant
The award-winning jewellers Allum & Sidaway give their top tips on selecting the perfect ring for your engagement and wedding day
Selecting an engagement ring is a romantic, unique and, we believe, essential symbol of your relationship. The focus should always be on craftsmanship, enduring style and iconic design.
Classic styles of engagement rings such as a diamond solitaire set in platinum, featuring a round brilliant cut stone, or perhaps a princess cut stone remains popular. But recently there has been a trend for vintage styles, halo settings and clusters.
Heavenly halo settings feature a centre stone surrounded by smaller, often pave set diamonds. Vivacious vintage settings have tiny pave diamonds on the shank of the ring or filigree and mill grain detailing adding touches of detail and antique reference. Captivating clusters create a sparkling statement using smaller stones.
Three stone diamond rings are another way of creating impact and the stones can represent the past, present and future.
When choosing a ring also consider the type of stone. Would your partner love the classic diamond, or a coloured stone, such as ruby or sapphire like Kate and William?
The current trend is for white metal, especially platinum. However, 18ct yellow gold and rose gold offer a lovely warm colour to contrast with crisp white diamonds.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 5 8 great family walks in the North West
- 6 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 7 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 8 Win Castle Howard Prom Tickets & a VIP Hamper
- 9 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 10 6 great walks near Skipton
When it comes to choosing the actual wedding ring, select a style to complement your engagement ring. Always try to match metals - selecting a harder metal can cause wear on the sides of the softer ring. You could also consider a wedding band scattered with diamonds to match the engagement ring – this can be for both the ladies and gentleman’s ring.
Finally consider the finish of the ring - classic polished, brushed, patterned or engraved. Many couples choose to have their wedding rings engraved on the inside of the bands, with the date of their wedding or a message of love.
Allum & Sidaway
We offer a bespoke design service where we can work with you to design and craft a piece that is truly individual. Visit us in store to discuss your own creation and ensure your engagement and wedding ring is as truly irreplaceable and unique as you are.
• Vintage-inspired wedding dresses in Dorset - Minna Hepburn’s eco-luxe collection of vintage-inspired wedding dresses, not only look beautiful but are thoughtfully designed with love and lace in the heart of Dorset.
• Former Miss England Jackie Turner on keeping fit, working with Formula E and artist management - Twelve years after her reign as Miss England, Jackie Turner is still living the jet-setting life, but the glamour has become more… plugged-in.