Wivenhoe House: a stunning historic wedding setting
- Credit: Archant
Weddings in a historic setting are definitely on trend this year - and Wivenhoe House in Colchester is a great example to try
Weddings in a historic setting are definitely on trend this year in the footsteps of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, the new Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
And this autumn we return to St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle for the wedding of Princess Eugenie of York and Jack Brooksbank on Friday 12 October.
Besides the obvious beauty and elegance of historic venues one of the attractions must be the romantic image of happy couples over the centuries sharing their love in that very spot.
Wivenhoe House, built in the late 18th century, began life as a happy family home and is now enjoying a new lease of life as a luxury four-star hotel and stunning wedding venue.
It can also claim to have played a vital part in the love life of one of Britain’s most acclaimed landscape artists John Constable.
In the early 19th century Constable fell in love with Maria Bicknell, whose family were not keen on their daughter marrying an artist with little prospects! In 1816 he was paid the grand sum of 100 guineas to paint Wivenhoe Park and he used the money to win her hand.
The beautiful painting now hangs in pride of place in the National Gallery of Art, Washington DC. The exterior of the house has changed little today and it is not hard to imagine Constable sitting in one of the elegant lounges writing love letters to his adored Maria.
- 1 10 excellent fish and chip shops in Kent
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 4 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 5 18 things to do in the Cotswolds in August
- 6 Win Castle Howard Prom Tickets & a VIP Hamper
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 11 of the most Instagrammble locations in Hampshire
- 9 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 10 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
Wivenhoe House combines the best of its glorious past as an outstanding example of a Grade II listed country house and all the modern touches to ensure your wedding celebration is a success.
You can say your vows in one of the lounges in the main house or the gazebo on the sunken lawn and then move smoothly into the Garden Suite where you can dine in style and then party into the evening, all arranged by the superb wedding team.
With 40 bedrooms there is plenty of space for you and some of your guests to stay, including the Constable luxury bedroom, offering a direct view of the spot where the artist sat to compose his painting.
The dates and times for the next Wivenhoe House wedding mornings are...
• Sunday 24th June 2018, 10-1
• Sunday 16th September 2018, 10-1
• Sunday 4th November 2018, 10-1
To find out more or to request a show around please contact Wivenhoe House on email@example.com or on 01206 863666