A mini-guide to staying in Scarborough
- Credit: www.britainonview.com
Scarborough, the archetypal British seaside resort is a part of The Countrywide Great Tour route this summer.
The Countrywide Great Tour begins on 4 July 2015 and takes place over 64 days visiting various coastal locations across the UK.
Cyclists will begin to arrive in Scarborough on the afternoon of 1st August after a ride down the coast from Hartlepool.
Scarborough claims to be Britain’s first seaside resort, has been welcoming visitors for over 360 years and is still as popular as ever. Scarborough’s safe, sandy beaches and wealth of first class attractions make it a wonderful place to visit. North Bay beach and South Bay beach are separated by a rocky headland on which stands Scarborough Castle, the remains of which dominate the town. King Edward I held court at the castle in 1275.
Visit peaceful North Bay and take a journey beneath the waves at the Sea Life and Marine Sanctuary, which also includes the Seal Rescue Centre. The newly-refurbished open air theatre is proving popular. The Dinosaur Coast Gallery at the Rotunda Museum and Scarborough Art Gallery are well worth a visit.
Boat watching at the harbour is fun and free but if shopping not ships is more your thing, the Brunswick Centre is ideal while the Spa Complex has great entertainment.
- 1 Waterfalls, Weirs and Cascades of the Peak District
- 2 These are the Devon beaches awarded Blue Flag status in 2022
- 3 How to make Jemma Melvin's Lemon Swiss Roll and Amaretti trifle
- 4 Win tickets to see Alfie Boe and Michael Ball at Plymouth Central Park
- 5 These are the Cornwall beaches awarded Blue Flag status in 2022
- 6 10 Cheshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 7 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 8 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
- 9 Where was The Essex Serpent TV series filmed?
- 10 10 great circular walks in Cheshire
Inspired by the best horror movies, Terror Tower is a haunted house attraction combining live actors, animated scenes and special effects.
01723 365373, www.terrortower.co.uk
The restaurant is well established and popular offering the best in Italian cuisine. Specialities include fresh fish, white truffles and local produce.
01723 363616, www.lanterna-ristorante.co.uk
The Grand Hotel
Stay at one of Scarborough’s landmark buildings by booking in to The Grand Hotel, which offers superb views over South Bay.
0871 222 0047, www.scarboroughgrandhotel.co.uk
Do you want to take part in the Great tour? To enter, head over to the Countrywide Great Tour website.