Adventure trails: BHS Challenge Rides
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The British Horse Society hosts fundraising Challenge Rides to some of the world’s most stunning landscapes. Fancy a ride to the Sacred Valley of the Incas?
Do you ever dream of swapping the rural landscapes of leafy Hertfordshire for the sweeping scenery of Peru or Mongolia? You have the chance to do just that with a British Horse Society Challenge Ride.
Fundraising is a huge part of the work done by the British Horse Society and volunteers take part in and host everything from fun rides to educational clinics and bake sales to quiz nights to raise vital funds to improve the welfare of horses. Some people, however, take it to the next level and will ride across some of the most extreme landscapes to aid the work of the society.
The first Challenge Ride took place in 2000 and since then hundreds of intrepid explorers have travelled to countries including Chile, India, Iceland and Peru.
Funds raised by the Challenge Ride events enable the welfare team at HQ and the nationwide team of voluntary welfare officers to respond to calls regarding the welfare of horses on a daily basis.
The next ride will depart in late May and those taking part will take in the stunning scenery of Peru. The Inca Challenge takes riders through the Andes, where the terrain is often steep, through the mountains to the north of the Sacred Valley of the Incas. Riders will definitely need a head for heights on this ride, but the breathtaking views make it all worthwhile.
Challenge rides are open to those aged 18 and over. Participants should be safe and competent riders. The BHS recommends that potential participants have their riding assessed by a BHS registered instructor if they have any concerns aboout their suitability for a ride.
Bookings are being taken now for rides throughout 2016, so if you are interested in an adventure that benefits horses in the UK, visit the website at bhs.org.uk
- 1 Devon coast to star in new Ainsley Harriott series on Channel 4
- 2 Win a Stay at The Merchant's Yard, Tideswell in the Peak District
- 3 Inside this artist's Cornish home on the market for £1.5 million
- 4 Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Celebrations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Two Norfolk spots to star in new Ainsley Harriott series on Channel 4
- 6 Waterfalls, Weirs and Cascades of the Peak District
- 7 10 Cheshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 The mysterious lost ghost villages of Norfolk
- 9 How to make Jemma Melvin's Lemon Swiss Roll and Amaretti trifle
- 10 10 Derbyshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
If you are unable to take part in a Challenge Ride but want to help the cause, you can support the work of the BHS by making a donation via the website.