Artist of the Month - Anita Burrows
- Credit: Archant
A printmaker from Pendle finds inspiration from the Lancashire countryside and its wildlife, writes Barbara Waite
Anita Burrows grew up in Pendle and has always enjoyed experiencing the changing seasons and, as a printmaker, shows its stunning landscape to great effect. This depiction of Blacko Tower in this linocut is a prime example
With a Fine Art degree from the University of Central Lancashire behind her she works from her studio at Higherford Mill, and is involved in all sorts of creative projects including this month’s Pendle Print Biennial.
‘As a busy artist trying to make ends meet my work is diverse and all encompassing,’ she said. I have worked with farmers in Bowland, local shopkeepers, walking groups and all sorts of community groups. I am interested in how art can become a part of our everyday experience.
Antia loves all the different processes involved in printmaking including etching, lino prints, collagraphs and exploring mixing techniques. Her love of the outdoors feeds her inspiration, she says.
Crows over Pendle was made using two blocks one for each colour and was inspired by the 400th anniversary of the Trial of the Pendle Witches. ‘The crows came first, I could hear them in my studio - they were building nests in the trees. I used a piece of charcoal on the end of a garden cane to draw them, knowing there had to be three,’ she said.
‘I test printed the crows block and it was evident I needed a background and the instantly recognisable shape of the ‘big end’ of Pendle was the obvious choice.’ The powerful image was used to advertise the Print Biennial.
- 1 Devon coast to star in new Ainsley Harriott series on Channel 4
- 2 What's on in Norfolk June 2022
- 3 Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Celebrations in Hertfordshire
- 4 Ball and Boe announce a new album for 2022
- 5 10 Derbyshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 6 10 Cheshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 7 10 Yorkshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 These are the Cornwall beaches awarded Blue Flag status in 2022
- 9 Queen's Platinum Jubilee: 13 events to celebrate in Cornwall
- 10 Win a Stay at The Merchant's Yard, Tideswell in the Peak District
Her work is available to buy from the Platform Gallery in Clitheroe, Burnley Artisan market and her website www.anitajburrows.org. Prices start at around £25 up to £200