Artist profile - Rod Gorwood
- Credit: Archant
We invited Rod Gorwood, designer, art director, artist and lecturer, to tell us about his work in this month’s Gallery
To begin with, my professional career has revolved around the television and feature film industry for more than 25 years, practicing as a designer and art director on many high profile dramas at home and abroad including Danny Boyle’s 28 Days Late and Millions as well as TV programmes such as Prime Suspect, Coronation Street, Cold Feet and Cracker.
The many forms of artistry I’ve learned over the years allows me now to diversify within other creative fields, such as delivering seminars and art direction craft courses to international students within the UK and, for seven years, at Aalto University Finland, as a visiting professor.
The artwork here is an example of my most recent collection of characters for children, namely the ‘Yorkshire Hares’ series, destined for adventure and educational books, animation and other avenues as yet unexplored.
The old saying ‘never lose the child within’ describes my nature perfectly, as I have always been fascinated by the power of imagery and word, therefore the whole concept of the ‘Yorkshire Hares’ is to instil a sense of wellbeing and positive energy within children to inspire self belief. If my images and words can do this, I will be very much fulfilled.
I have avoided where possible, attaching titles or storylines to the images, the reason being is that I want children to create their own (without my influence) storylines, although I do, formulate my own stories when drawing.
My adopted region of North Yorkshire, namely Hudswell village and Richmond has been a very important part of my life for some time now; this area has inspired the new creations, borne from this region’s unique natural beauty and its inherent mythological background.
Find out more about Rod and his Yorkshire Hares characters at rodgorwood.co.uk
- 1 The Hairy Bikers hit West Yorkshire
- 2 9 cosy pubs in Devon to warm up in this winter
- 3 Surrey Life meets Strictly costume designer Vicky Gill
- 4 The Hairy Bikers Go North to explore the Yorkshire coast
- 5 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 6 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 7 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 8 10 great Halloween events in Lancashire
- 9 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 10 Fireworks displays and bonfire night events in Sussex 2021