Christmas on the beach at the Thurlestone Hotel
- Credit: Archant
If travelling to warmer climes to feel the sand between your toes is out of your budget then here are some coastal tips for a very Devon Christmas on the beach, writes Laura Dale
For a Christmas spent by the seaside with sea air and beach walks on your doorstep then the Thurlestone Hotel near Kingsbridge is definitely worth considering. Set in 19 acres of garden, it also has a golf course overlooking Bigbury Bay. It’s been owned and managed by the Grose family since 1896 and sits amid miles of National Trust coastline.
At Christmas they offer dining and accommodation packages (every room has a Christmas tree) or just dining. They have everything on offer for an away from home Christmas with carol singers, Santa Claus, mulled wine, magicians, a trip to the pantomime, log fires and a gala Christmas dinner. Christmas Eve dinner is £39.50 per person, Christmas Day lunch is £75 per person and Boxing day lunch is £29.95 per person.
Residential festive packages run from December 23 until December 27 with the addition of cream teas, children’s entertainment and quizzes. Prices start from £990 per person for four nights including dinner, bed and breakfast, early morning tea, afternoon tea and Christmas Day lunch.
At the other end of the county in North Devon, is Saunton Sands hotel which offers festive packed breaks. Right next to the beach, the hotel has amazing panoramic views of the coast. It offers three night breaks between December 24 and December 29 with gingerbread house making, festive fancy dress tea parties, arts and crafts, and a visit from Father Christmas for children; pre and post dinner live entertainment for adults, mince pies and mulled wine, a Champagne reception followed by Christmas lunch with all the trimmings and a charity beach walk followed by a black tie gala on Boxing Day. Prices start at £555 per person for dinner, room, bed and breakfast.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 3 Gardoolet: WIN this summer's best garden game
- 4 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 5 Are you ready for the greatest show this summer?
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 Win a luxury break at The Draycott Hotel in Chelsea
- 8 WIN a stay at Hornington Manor's new shepherd huts
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 10 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire