CORNWALL SCOOPS 10 TOP TOURISM AWARDS
Cornwall's place as top tourism destination assured after picking up more awards at VisitEngland event
Cornwall took ten awards atthis year’s national VisitEngland awards ceremony includingthreeGold awards...
80 awards were announced on the night, and with 26 of these from the South West the region reinforced its position as the top English region for quality tourism.
The Visit England awards link with the South West Tourism Excellence Awards which held its regional awards ceremony in Exeter Cathedral inFebruary this year. This followed a rigorous selection process, including judging of 490 entries from across the South West with many of them winning also in the Cornwall Tourism Awards, Dorset Tourism Awards and Devon Tourism Awards. Over the winter the regional entries have been pitted against further entries from across the country, with 26 South West nominees selected as Finalists at the VisitEngland awards night in at The Winter Gardens in Blackpool.
Cornwall picked up Golds for Treworgey Cottages for Self Catering, Trevose Harbour House for Bed & Breakfast and Railholiday for Sustainable Tourism.
A silver awards went to Cornwall’s The Dining Room, whileHell Bay Hotel from the Isles of Scilly, Cornwall’s Whalesborough Cottages took eBronze awards.
Also winners on the night were threebusinesses picking up Highly Commended accolades:Padstow Touring Park, Wheal Martyn Museum and The Rising Sun pub.
- 1 How the Goosnargh Gin distillery bounced back from adversity
- 2 Martin Clunes shares his favourite local places in Dorset
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 Win a fabulous free-range Morton's Norfolk turkey for Christmas!
- 5 The best second-hand bookshops in Suffolk
- 6 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 7 of the best spas in Sussex
- 10 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
South West Awards organiser Robin Barker, who joined the winners in Blackpool, commented: “This year’s awards have broken all records with 1/3 of the national awards going to South West businesses. It is a fitting testament to their vision, investment and hard work – making sure that this region stays at the cutting edge in one of the biggest and fastest changing industries in the world. As one cycle ends another begins, and we are already planning the 2016/16 Awards, to be launched in April, along with a few changes.”