Damien Hirst's New Religion exhibition heads to Woking in 2015
- Credit: Archant
Great excitement at The Lightbox gallery and museum as it prepares to host Damien Hirst: New Religion, a touring exhibition by one of the world’s most significant contemporary artists.
This landmark show, which includes silk screen prints and sculptures, explores the relationship between science, art and religion – topics that have dominated his 25-year career as an artist.
Lightbox curator Peter Hall says the exhibition will be thought-provoking on many levels.
“The various screen prints and sculptures in the exhibition form a ‘chapel of contemplation’,” he explains. “Both aesthetically and architecturally, they form a pseudo-chapel, prompting the viewer to consider the juxtaposition of science and religion.
“Hirst is fascinated at how people put their complete trust in science and religion, and many of the pieces are visual puns on religious imagery.”
First exhibited at the Paul Stolper Gallery in central London in 2005, New Religion has since toured to Oslo, Moscow, Venice and Sofia.
Through their contacts at the Paul Stolper Gallery and the British Council, The Lightbox requested that Hirst’s exhibition also visit Woking, and now, ten years after New Religion was first conceived, that wish has been realised.
- 1 Star cast unveiled for new ITV crime drama set in North Devon
- 2 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 3 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 4 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 5 Where to pick pumpkins in Dorset for Halloween 2021
- 6 The 5 best pumpkin patches in Cornwall this Halloween
- 7 5 pumpkin patches to visit in Sussex this autumn
- 8 10 great Halloween events in Lancashire
- 9 The 5 best pumpkin patches in Somerset this Halloween
- 10 Fireworks displays and bonfire night events in Sussex 2021
“It is a fantastic coup for The Lightbox to host New Religion,” adds Peter. “It hasn’t been shown in the UK since 2005 and, indeed, it has never been shown outside London in the UK.
“I hope that visitors will seize this opportunity to see the work of such a thought-provoking and, at times, controversial artist, right on their doorstep here in Surrey.”
• Damien Hirst: New Religion, in association with the Paul Stolper Gallery and the British Council, runs at The Lightbox, Chobham Road, Woking GU21 4AA from Saturday March 28 to Sunday July 5. The exhibition is featured in the new Art Fund video ‘top five shows for spring 2015’. Tel: 01483 737800. Web: thelightbox.org.uk