Fircroft summer exhibition sees contemporary art at Victorian house and garden
- Credit: Archant
Set in a large early Victorian country house with mature wooded gardens in the midst of beautiful Albury Heath, the Fircroft Summer Exhibition 2014 brings together the work of more than fifty established and emerging artists from many parts of Britain and further afield.
Fircroft is home to the artist Frank Taylor and his wife Christine who over the last nineteen years have each summer shown a varied collection of paintings, prints, sculpture, ceramics, glass, textiles and jewellery.
They choose works by artists they admire and many of the artists are of international reputation – but all highly respected within their own field.
“Visitors comment that it is a pleasure to see artworks of such quality in a family home and garden rather than in the setting of a public or commercial gallery,” says Christine.
New at this year’s exhibition, which runs from Saturday June 7 to Sunday June 22, are Surrey glass maker Corinne Pearson-Evans and jewellers Kay Meldrum and Louise Scholefield.
While new on the walls are the extraordinary wood cuts and linoprints of Devon artist Jay Luttman-Johnson and the collages of Sussex artist Viv Nicklin, whose work combines fabric, paint and embroidery.
Exhibiting at Fircroft for the first time is internationally admired potter John Bedding.
- 1 Slade star's wife gets two-book deal – without trading on her famous name
- 2 The life and death of Manchester Arena bombing victim Martyn Hett
- 3 Cotswold designers win big at Chelsea Flower Show in 2022
- 4 Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Celebrations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Win a Dunlopillo king size diamond mattress worth £2,500 from Peter Betteridge
- 6 Win a Stay at The Merchant's Yard, Tideswell in the Peak District
- 7 10 Yorkshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 22 fab half term and Jubilee activities in Devon
- 9 10 Derbyshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Noddy Holder's wife: my guide to being married to a rock star
This year, John has three exhibitions: one in Tokyo, one at the Leach Museum and Gallery in St Ives and one at Fircroft. He will join other well-respected ceramicists exhibiting, including: John Maltby, who is widely regarded as this country’s foremost ceramic sculptor, Pru Green, Kevin Warren, and Lise B Moorcroft, the fourth generation potter from the famous Moorcroft family producing a contemporary variation of the famous family genre.
In the gardens are metal sculptures by artists from Yorkshire, Somerset and Sussex along with stone sculptures by leading Zimbabwean artists.
Entry to the exhibition is free and a warm welcome awaits you.
• Fircroft, off New Road, Albury Heath, Surrey GU5 9DD. For more information, call 01483 202333, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.fircroft.info
Share photos of your favourite Surrey sculptures @ www.surreylife.co.uk/photos