Glamping in the Cotswolds
- Credit: Archant
Camping doesn’t have to be cold, wet and dirty! Candia McKormack samples all-frills glamping in the Cotswolds
Set in the heart of the Cotswolds, Cotswold Glamping is situated on a small family-run farm. Described as ‘all the fun of sleeping under canvas without the hard work’ – and who wouldn’t want a bit of that.
Three bell tents, all with their own private space plus kitchen room, picnic table, fire pit and barbecue. Inside you’ll find a king-sized beds and carpets. No roughing it here.
Purpose-built reception building with outdoor terrace, individual changing and shower rooms, small honesty shop, play area, swimming pool and outdoor games.
Cotswold Glamping, Doe Bank Farm, Great Washbourne, GL20 7AR, tel: 01242 621 115,
- 1 10 great circular walks in Cheshire
- 2 8 great family walks in the North West
- 3 6 places to view snowdrops in Yorkshire
- 4 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 5 Win a unique candles and country house prize
- 6 Win a tropical trip for two to Mauritius
- 7 10 great hill walks in Cheshire
- 8 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 9 19 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 10 6 great walks near Warrington
With a fine farm shop on the doorstep and the brilliant Hillside Brewery next door, your taste buds can really look forward to fine al fresco dining here. And on the first morning you’ll wake up to a fabulous hamper full of local produce… I think we love you, Mrs Mills.
The two yurts are equipped with a luxury king-size bed with duck-feather duvet, woodburning stove, kitchenette, washstands, fire pit, barbecue and come with solar power. There’s even WiFi in the snug. Hurrah!
Within the farmhouse, less than 100m away, are private ‘beach hut’ bathrooms with towelling robes and complimentary toiletries. There is also a comfy communal snug with sofas and an old rocking chair, and Mrs Mills serves tea and buns at the table daily.
Mrs Mills’ Yurts, Dursley Cross Farm, May Hill, GL17 0RA, tel: 07970 175735
Dome Garden is a luxurious, purpose-built, UK glamping village with a unique collection of 11 insulated geodesic domes – ‘space-age, eco-lodges’ – of varying size.
All the domes have individual en-suites with flushing loos and wood-fired showers or baths, plus proper beds, luxury linen and wood-burning stoves.
Although there’s ‘rubbish phone reception’ and no WiFi, we’re assured you simply won’t miss them once you settle into dome-life and start exploring the glorious Forest. You can even buy a rocket stove from them for a mere 50 quid. Nifty!
The Dome Garden, Mile End, Forest of Dean, tel: 07974 685 818
Set on a farmyard in the Cotswold countryside, these shepherd huts would make The Archers’ Lynda Snell green with envy.
The huts have their own unique features and location, with riverside verandas, private gardens or shower, but all have an ultra-comfortable bed, a barbecue or George Foreman grill and fire pit.
There are drying facilities, barbecue area, and a twice-weekly mobile shop selling everything from fresh meat to vegetables… plus the local pub is just a short stroll along the river bank. Heavenly.
Blackgrounds Farm, Culworth Road, Edgecote, nr Chipping Warden, OX17 1LZ, tel: 01295 660066
For a slice of rustic charm amongst the rolling Gloucestershire hills, head to The Glamping Orchard.
There are a selection of cosy yet stylish bell tents on offer, complete with proper beds, lots of warm bed linen and a wood burning stove to keep you toasty on those colder evenings.
For the BBQ Kings and Queens, The Glamping Orchard has plenty to offer in terms of outside dining. There is a fire-come-BBQ pit and all of the essential condiments you could ever need. Enjoy burgers and sausages in the great outdoors with an awning over head to protect you from the typical British weather!
The Glamping Orchard, Longney, GL2 3SW, tel: 07974 174534
Nestled in 12 acres of majestic woodland a mere stone’s throw from the beautiful village of Broadway, Manor Farm Glamping will please even the fussiest of campers.
From deluxe sleeping pods to luxurious Safari tents, Manor Farm can accommodate romantic weekend getaways, family holidays and large groups of friends - even wedding parties. Whilst the warmth and comfort of each accommodation ensures you get a peaceful night’s sleep in the great outdoors.
Dependent on the type of accommodation you choose, you could be spoilt with private kitchenettes, BBQs and the washing facilities are never far away with under floor heating and brand new wet room showers. Bliss.
Manor Farm Glamping, Aston Somerville, Broadway, WR12 7JE
Not to be missed:
- Riverside Park, Tiddington Road, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 7AB, tel: 01789 292312, www.stratfordcaravans.co.uk/snugs - Adorable ‘beehives’, ‘snugs’ and ‘hobbit huts’.
- Hidcote bartrim, glos, Chipping Campden GL55 6LR, tel: 01420 80804, www.featherdown.co.uk/farm/hidcote-manor - Luxurious wooden-floored ‘tents’.
- Hill Farm, Priors Hardwick, nr Southam, Warwickshire, CV47 7SP, tel: 01327 260338, www.stayathillfarm.co.uk – Romantic 19th-century shepherd hut.
- Notgrove Holidays, The Manor, Notgrove, nr Cheltenham, GL54 3BT, notgroveholidays.com – ‘Mega pods’ with flat-screen TVs.
- Upcote Farm Pods, Withington, Cheltenham, GL54 4BL, tel: 01242 890250, www.upcotefarm.com – Cedar and oak pods on a secluded farm.