Henri Matisse exhibition to open at Coltishall gallery
- Credit: Archant
Fans of Matisse’s vibrant line drawings and portraits will love the spring exhibition at Capital Culture Gallery in Coltishall
An exhibition of prints by Henri Matisse includes beautiful line drawings and portraits, plus the vibrant colours of his later work.
From 1900 until his death in 1954 Matisse completed more than 800 etchings, lithographs, woodcuts, linocuts, and monotypes and is widely recognised as one of the greatest and most diverse printmakers of the 20th century.
His 1947 series of paper cut-outs have been called the visual counterpart of jazz, with the circus providing the inspiration for more than half of the motifs.
The Coltishall exhibition is the second time the gallery has shown rare prints. Last summer’s Alice in Wonderland exhibition featured prints by Sir John Tenniel and drew visitors from across the county and beyond.
Gallery owner James Sparshatt said: “Matisse was an obvious choice for our spring show, given the wide range of prints he produced over his lifetime. We hope the exhibition will delight collectors, fans and students alike as well as giving people the opportunity to hang original prints in their homes.”
Henri Matisse, Master of Print at the Capital Culture Gallery, Church Street, Coltishall. April 27 to May 18, Tuesdays and Thursdays 9.30am-5pm, Saturdays 10am-1pm. 01603736954. capitalculture.eu
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Gardoolet: WIN this summer's best garden game
- 3 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 4 Win a luxury break at The Draycott Hotel in Chelsea
- 5 WIN a stay at Hornington Manor's new shepherd huts
- 6 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 7 Win a watercolour painting of Wat Tyler Country Park by artist James Merriott
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 23 places to find the best views in Devon
- 10 Are you ready for the greatest show this summer?