Horses as helpers
- Credit: Archant
Sirona Therapeutic Horsemanship is holding an open day at their base - Hannah’s at Seale Hayne, near Newton Abbot - on Saturday 20th July. Hannah invites you to go and meet the team – horses and human – and find out more about Therapeutic Horsemanship and Equine-Assisted Therapy and Learning.
The centre follows a natural horsemanship approach to horse management to help young people and adults with support needs. People with different issues ranging from those suffering from mental health problems, low self-confidence and self-esteem, young people struggling at school or with emotional and behavioural problems, and people with learning disabilities attend the centre – in fact anyone who could benefit from being with horses.
The team consist of experienced and professional staff with backgrounds in social work, psychotherapy and counselling, teaching, and horses. With 2 BHSAI’s on the team, all aspects of horsemanship is taught alongside a gentle approach to working with participants with support needs.
On the day there will be horse agility displays, together with a demo by classical dressage trainer Heather Moffett, a patron of Sirona, with one of her beautiful Portuguese horses. There will also be cart rides on the wheelchair user chariot - the iBex - and other children’s activities such as horseshoe painting, a lucky dip and a raffle to raise funds for the centre, which relies on donations and grants to fund Therapeutic Horsemanship sessions for those unable to pay the full fee. There will be refreshments available and the day runs from 11-3pm.
Hannah Burgon 07958 356114
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 4 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 5 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 6 The must-have flowers and plants for gardens in 2021
- 7 Cornwall's best dog-friendly beaches...and places to eat on the way
- 8 Win a unique Peak District Walk book gift box with great map books and photography
- 9 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 10 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces