I Wish to Communicate art installation on the Thornton Estate in Hull
- Credit: Hull News & Picture
A multi-coloured community project brightens a Hull housing estate.
Residents are taking part in a major art installation created on their doorstep. Tinted filters have been fitted in the communal lighting areas and coloured sheets cover window panes across five high-rise tower blocks on the Thornton Estate in Hull. And as darkness falls a collage of colour is created.
The arts project, part of the Hull UK City of Culture Made in Hull celebrations, was initially developed by Silvio Palladino, an Italian artist in residence with the estate-based Goodwin Development Trust and lighting design consultant James Bawn who worked with residents to create the effect called I Wish to Communicate with You.
Sharon Darley, quality of life manager at the Goodwin Development Trust said the project was about raising aspirations, self-confidence and improving the quality of life for a community blighted by bad press and negative assumptions. She added: ‘This will be the enduring legacy from the project and local residents will have a more positive understanding of and interest in arts and culture as a result of participation.’
I Wish to Communicate with You is one of 60 new projects to receive funding through the Hull 2017 Creative Communities Programme, which is being delivered in partnership with the Big Lottery Fund, a principal partner of Hull 2017.
Henri Duckworth, executive producer at Hull 2017, said the project has brought local people together and involved them in the creation of a piece of public art right on their doorstep. ‘How many people can boast that they live in an illuminated multi-coloured installation?’ he added.
Over the course of the year, the project will include neighbouring buildings such as William Booth House, Adelaide School, the Danish Church and the Hull Royal infirmary in the colourful community collage.
- 1 Win a holiday for two on the Isles of Scilly
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 16 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 4 6 great walks near Dunsop Bridge
- 5 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 6 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 7 16 of the best beer gardens in Essex
- 8 Sussex pubs with beer gardens to visit this summer
- 9 10 pubs with pretty beer gardens in Canterbury
- 10 7 fab Devon pubs with outdoor spaces