5 independent cinemas in Hampshire
- Credit: Krists Luhaers / Unsplash
Experience the sheer joy and magic of movies at one of Hampshire's unique independent cinemas.
No.6 Cinema, Portsmouth
As Portsmouth's only independent cinema, No. 6 is the port city's cinephile hotspot as it shows just as many subtitled and arthouse films as it does blockbusters. This unique and state-of-the-art cinema is also rather dashing to look at as it is housed in the Grade II listed Boathouse 6.
Where: Boathouse 6, HM Naval Base, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO1 3LJ
More information: www.no6cinema.co.uk
Regal Cinema, Fordingbridge
This 1930s art-deco gem reopened in 2017 and has since become one of the counties strongest independent cinemas showing new blockbusters alongside modern artsy films and timeless classics.
Where: 35 Shaftesbury St, Fordingbridge, Hampshire SP6 1JF
More information: www.theregalcinema.org
- 1 The incredible Cornish stone structures with an exceptional history
- 2 Scotney Castle makes an appearance in Netflix's The Sandman
- 3 These are the Devon beaches awarded Blue Flag status in 2022
- 4 5 wild swimming spots in Cheshire
- 5 Win a luxury 2-night Lake District getaway to the Skiddaw Hotel worth £500
- 6 National Afternoon Tea Week: 10 of the best tearooms in Kent
- 7 5 of the best places to visit in Cheshire this summer
- 8 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
- 9 The 5 best spots for wild swimming in Somerset
- 10 Win the Cobra MX3440V Cordless Lawnmower
Stockbridge Community Cinema
Not strictly a cinema per se, but Stockbridge Town Hall is home to a twice-monthly film night where movies from around the world and closer to home are shown on a large projector screen accompanied by stereo speakers.
Where: Stockbridge Town Hall, High St, Stockbridge, Hampshire SO20 6HE
More information: www.stockbridgecinema.org.uk
The Living Room Cinema, Liphook
Having only opened on 22nd April this year, The Living Room Cinema is undoubtedly one of the coolest places in Hampshire to catch a movie. There's a chilled-out cafe bar where you can get a pre-movie refreshment or a drink for a post-movie debrief.
Where: The Square, The Sq, Liphook, Hampshire GU30 7AH
More information: www.thelivingroomcinema.co.uk
Southsea Cinema, Southsea
This informal community-run cinema has soft beanbags to lay back on while you watch new releases, subtitled films from around the world and cult classic cinema.
Where: 1-3 Palmerston Rd, Southsea, Portsmouth, Southsea, Hampshire PO5 3QQ
More information: www.southseacinema.co.uk