Lou Tonkin: Penryn-based illustrator and designer
- Credit: Archant
Cornwall is filled with makers creating stunning things to wear - and Lou Tonkin’s new designs make winter a welcome excuse to wrap up in one of her stunning scarves
Having studied illustration originally at Falmouth University, Penryn-based illustrator and designer Lou Tonkin moved a lot and travelled extensively, it became part of life to move each year and with so many different influences and inspirations Lou’s work has consistently evolved but has always been drawn back to print and to the local countryside and most importantly hedgerows.
‘My inspiration is taken almost exclusively from my local environment,’ she says. ‘I am fascinated with nature and the hedgerows, I sit for hours looking at birds flitting in & out not necessarily to draw them in great detail (I love looking at all of my bird and insect books to do that) but to get a really good idea of the way they move and stand so that I can get the feel of them just right.’
Lou was an artist-in-residence at The Lost Gardens of Heligan for three years before recently moving to Penryn and really values the time she spent there within the gardens and the influence is still evident in her work.
Lou can be found these days either in her workshop or walking the paths around the Helford with her three children.
- 1 Why you should move to Bridlington
- 2 WIN a weekend escape at St. Mellion Estate, Cornwall
- 3 Win a Dunlopillo king size diamond mattress worth £2,500 from Peter Betteridge
- 4 Win a relaxing four-day retreat in Devon, plus other goodies
- 5 11 of the most Instagrammble locations in Suffolk
- 6 Naturism in the Cotswolds
- 7 22 of the best South Devon pubs with views of the coast
- 8 Win a year of farm shop food from Hinchliffe's worth £500
- 9 Charles Dickens has been flower bombed
- 10 14 things to see and do in Derbyshire in July