Lou Tonkin: Penryn-based illustrator and designer
- Credit: Archant
Cornwall is filled with makers creating stunning things to wear - and Lou Tonkin’s new designs make winter a welcome excuse to wrap up in one of her stunning scarves
Having studied illustration originally at Falmouth University, Penryn-based illustrator and designer Lou Tonkin moved a lot and travelled extensively, it became part of life to move each year and with so many different influences and inspirations Lou’s work has consistently evolved but has always been drawn back to print and to the local countryside and most importantly hedgerows.
‘My inspiration is taken almost exclusively from my local environment,’ she says. ‘I am fascinated with nature and the hedgerows, I sit for hours looking at birds flitting in & out not necessarily to draw them in great detail (I love looking at all of my bird and insect books to do that) but to get a really good idea of the way they move and stand so that I can get the feel of them just right.’
Lou was an artist-in-residence at The Lost Gardens of Heligan for three years before recently moving to Penryn and really values the time she spent there within the gardens and the influence is still evident in her work.
Lou can be found these days either in her workshop or walking the paths around the Helford with her three children.
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 4 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 5 The must-have flowers and plants for gardens in 2021
- 6 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 7 Cornwall's best dog-friendly beaches...and places to eat on the way
- 8 Win a unique Peak District Walk book gift box with great map books and photography
- 9 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 10 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces