New aparthotel plans for the Great Yorkshire Showground site in Harrogate
- Credit: Archant
Aparthotel chain Roomzzz to invest over £10million in the new development
Developers are to go ahead with an aparthotel on the Great Yorkshire Showground site in Harrogate after successfully challenging the borough council’s refusal to give planning permission.
Aparthotel chain Roomzzz, with headquarters in Leeds, is investing over £10million in the new development which is scheduled to open towards the end of 2019. Roomzzz Harrogate will have 98 serviced apartments ranging from studios to luxury penthouses each individually designed for day-to-day living, including a living area, fitted kitchen, broadband and widescreen TV. The aparthotel will also have a gym, coffee shop and meeting rooms. Roomzzz has seven other aparthotels including Chester, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle and Nottingham.
Naveen Ahmed, chief executive officer of Roomzzz Aparthotel UK, said: ‘We’re delighted that our (planning) appeal has been successful and that Harrogate will be the latest edition to our aparthotels portfolio. The company was founded in Yorkshire, so we know Harrogate well and believe it is the ideal location to expand the Roomzzz brand.
‘We know that the typical Roomzzz guests are professionals and international guests who are looking for a longer term stay than a hotel can usually offer. We are confident that the Roomzzz Aparthotel will be of huge benefit to both tourism and the economy of Harrogate.’
Roomzzz’s expansion plans over the next 18 months include developments worth £75million in York, Manchester, London and Edinburgh.
Nigel Pulling, chief executive of the Yorkshire Agricultural Society, said: ‘We are delighted that planning permission has been granted for Roomzzz which will really enhance our offering at the showground. From our visitors and competitors at the Great Yorkshire Show, to delegates and exhibitors for the Yorkshire Event Centre and Pavilions of Harrogate, the addition of 98 rooms for overnight accommodation will take us up to the next level.’
- 1 Win £500 of English wine from Lyme Bay Winery
- 2 Who is the real Hampshire soldier behind BBC Two's new drama Danny Boy?
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 5 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 6 A fond farewell to Torbay from the captain of cruise ship Eurodam
- 7 Win a modern Guernsey cushion cover kit
- 8 Cornwall's weirdest pub names
- 9 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 10 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex