Travel: The perfect family staycay on the North Norfolk coast
- Credit: Archant
Dreaming of a getaway with friends and family once restrictions are lifted? Well a stay at The Normans in the charming North Norfolk town of Wells-next-the-Sea could be just the ticket
Oh how I’ve been longing for the vast sandy beaches and big skies of the North Norfolk coast recently, a place that I like to call my spiritual home, and would move to in a heartbeat if circumstances would allow.
Specifically I’ve been thinking of Wells-next-the-Sea, a pretty harbour town nestled between world-renowned Holkham beach and the unique bird sanctuary of Blakeney Point, that’s full of quirky, independent shops, welcoming taverns and cafes and probably the best fish and chips I’ve ever tasted.
It’s where we stayed as a family, back in February, when Covid-19 barely registered in our consciousnesses. How times have changed!
But my love of the area remains steadfast, which is why I’ve been holiday home rental shopping for when things do go back to some sort of normality and my extended family can come together to mark all those milestone birthdays, anniversaries and celebrations we’ve missed out on in 2020.
And ladies and gentleman, I have found just the place. Step forward The Normans, a stunning three storey Georgian townhouse that sleeps up to 14 people and is situated slap bang in the middle of town, just a two minute walk to the harbour front and a 15 minute walk to the beach.
As evidenced by its impressive frontage, the house was originally built in 1794 for the town’s wheat merchant, who, it was rumoured, was also a smuggler. Indeed, at the top of the house you can still find a spy window, from which the merchant watched the boats come in.
- 1 Slade star's wife gets two-book deal – without trading on her famous name
- 2 Cotswold designers win big at Chelsea Flower Show in 2022
- 3 The life and death of Manchester Arena bombing victim Martyn Hett
- 4 Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Celebrations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Win a Dunlopillo king size diamond mattress worth £2,500 from Peter Betteridge
- 6 Win a Stay at The Merchant's Yard, Tideswell in the Peak District
- 7 22 fab half term and Jubilee activities in Devon
- 8 10 Derbyshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 10 Yorkshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Noddy Holder's wife: my guide to being married to a rock star
Owned by Katie Ellis and family, the home perfectly showcases her impeccable taste in interior design and suffice to say, it has every concievable mod con.
Heck, there’s even a snooker room and a cinema in the cellar - you genuinely do not need to leave The Normans, every desire and whim has been catered for. Should you venture outside, however, you’ll find a beautiful walled garden, and, of course, everything that Wells and the surrounding environs has to offer, which, trust me, having visited many, many times in recent years, is an awful lot!