Six reasons to book a staycation
- Credit: Archant
If you are thinking of booking a break before the winter weather sets in, like many other people you may well be considering a staycation; but you don’t need to travel far to satisfy your wanderlust. Enjoy Tees Valley share just six reasons to choose the North East for your holiday destination:
1. Explore the great outdoors
The North East has some beautiful beaches and magnificent stretches of forest, countryside and river to explore. For secluded sandy beaches, head to Tees Valley and discover the beauty of Marske beach or the pristine Cattersty Sands at Skinningrove. Guisborough Forest and Walkway is also a great place for adventure, with its archways of trees, adventure courses and sculptures. If you prefer to take in the surroundings from the water, you might like to try white water rafting on an Olympic standard course at Tees Barrage, in Stockton-on-Tees, stand-up paddleboarding at Hartlepool Marina or surfing off the coast of Saltburn.
2. Fantastic family activities
Many museums, parks and gardens are now ready to welcome families back after lockdown – but do check booking details before visiting. Wander along the authentic Victorian Street at Preston Park Museum in Stockton-on-Tees or meet the animals at Newham Grange Farm in Middlesbrough.
3. A fascinating history
Get to know the historical sites and museums that are on your doorstep. Why not visit the National Museum of the Royal Navy in Hartlepool where you can climb on board the impressive HMS Trincomalee? Or discover where the modern passenger railway was born at The Head of Steam Railway Museum in Darlington.
4. To treat yourself
Go on, you deserve it! Indulge in the ultimate luxury of five-star resort Rockliffe Hall with its 18-hole championship golf course, award-winning spa and restaurants. Or head to Wynyard Hall at Stockton-on-Tees for an overnight stay, a walk in the gardens and relaxation in the lakeside spa.
5. Colourful shops and markets
We all love to shop. The pretty, bustling market town of Yarm with its independent shops, cafés, restaurants and bars, is an excellent destination for the shopaholic in you.
- 1 Win a stylish, hand-crafted rug by Best Wool worth up to £1,000
- 2 You can stay at this adorable Winnie the Pooh 'Bearbnb' in Sussex
- 3 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 4 WIN flowers, chocolates and Prosecco for Valentine's Day
- 5 Win a tropical trip for two to Mauritius
- 6 19 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 Nicolas Cage: From Hollywood to Somerset
- 9 6 places to view snowdrops in Yorkshire
- 10 Win a relaxing spa stay for two at The QHotels Collection
6. To stay in some enchanting locations
Luxuriate in a hotel, book a cottage or sleep under the stars – it’s your choice! North Shire at Saltburn-by-the-Sea offers magical family stays in its fairy-tale accommodation or try the Baby Moon Camp at Guisborough, where you can glamp like a Mongolian Lord.
If you are planning to visit Tees Valley, please check that you have all the information you need from the individual venues and locations about Covid-19 safety measures. Please enjoy Tees Valley responsibly and take care of our outdoor spaces by only leaving footprints behind.