Record-breaking cyclist Mark Beaumont joins the Countrywide Great Tour
- Credit: Archant
Later this month the Countrywide Great Tour will be joined by record breaking cyclist and adventurer Mark Beaumont
Beaumont, who held the world-record for cycling around the world, taking 194 days and 17 hours to cycle an incredible 29,446 kilometres, will join the Countrywide Great Tour on Wednesday 29 July for the 113-kilometre Day 26 route from St Andrews to Musselburgh in East Lothian.
In addition to his round-the-world cycle, Beaumont has also rowed across the Atlantic and cycled the length of both Africa and the Americas, the latter of which adventures were both made into BBC documentaries.
“The hardest part of any challenge, especially a physical journey, is having the commitment to start,” says Mark. “It is a cliche, but a small fraction of journeys that are dreamt up, talked about, shared on social media and even planned, actually become a reality. So I encourage everyone reading this to make this happen - don’t be another person with a good excuse that your big adventure had to be postponed, indefinitely.”
Although Mark has cycled across more than 60 countries, he felt he had explored remarkably little of Britain by bicycle, so was “immediately attracted to the concept of pedalling the coastline”.
When asked if others should take part in the full 64 day 6,700km Countrywide Great Tour next year, Mark had some valuable advice. “64 days for the very undulating coastline of Britain is a serious undertaking and it would be well advised to take on a series of smaller challenges to build up experience,” he says. “Joining for a few stages of this years tour would be a good idea. And for those wondering if they are capable of a mammoth 4,200 miles, just imagine that accolade, more than the coast to coast of America and an incredible lifetime goal.”
To follow the latest from The Countrywide Great Tour or join Mark Beaumont on Day 26 between St Andrews and Musselburgh head over to www.thegreattour.co.uk
- 1 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 2 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 3 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 4 Magical Christmas markets in Kent 2021
- 5 The 15 best Christmas markets in Norfolk 2021
- 6 Magical Christmas markets in Sussex 2021
- 7 The best Christmas markets and fairs in and around Cheshire
- 8 Magical Christmas markets in Suffolk 2021
- 9 The 11 best Christmas markets in Somerset 2021
- 10 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset