Reigate artist Adam Green
Competition was so fierce in this year's Baines Surrey Artist of the Year that 14 artists were sent through to the final at the New Ashgate Gallery, Farnham, rather than <br/><br/>the usual ten.
Originally published in Surrey Life magazine October 2010
Competition was so fierce in this year’s Baines Surrey Artist of the Year that 14 artists were sent through to the final at the New Ashgate Gallery, Farnham, rather than the usual ten.
One of those at the resulting exhibition of the finalists, is Reigate artist Adam Green, who was entering the competition for the first time.
With a strong world influence running throughout his work, inspiration does come from closer to home as well.
“My art has a world feel partly due to my travels in Africa and Mexico, but I recently found an old black and white photograph of my father as a young boy reading,” says the 37-year-old. “I thought it was such a great image, I had to use it in my next painting.”
He adds: “The continued presence of ornamental, hypnotic patterns draws from my love of Mexican and African iconography.”
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 3 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 4 Visit the village that people never want leave
- 5 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 8 10 National Garden Scheme open gardens to visit in Cheshire this summer
- 9 Wild Essex: 5 hotspots for nature lovers
- 10 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
Having already had work exhibited at the Royal Academy’s Summer Exhibition in 2005 and the Medici Gallery in Cork Street, Piccadilly, this year, Adam is hoping to add another string to his bow with the Surrey title.
Meanwhile, he is now busy on a new set of screen-prints, which are largely inspired by manhole covers. “There are some fantastic patterns if you keep your eyes peeled!” he says.
Adam Green went on to take second place in the Baines Surrey Artist of the Year. Find out who won in December's Surrey Life magazine.