Sporting Triumphs & Bournemouth Beaches
- Credit: Archant
Artists whose work celebrated the Jubilee and the Olympics feature in this exhibition in Christchurch
This month the Hatch Gallery in Church Street, Christchurch is exhibiting two great young British artists, Anthony Garratt and Jeremy Houghton. Although the two artists have hugely different styles they have both had, in the last couple of years, outstanding successes in their careers.
Jeremy is currently Artist in Residence at Highgrove and last year was sponsored by BT to paint the Olympic Games. His action-packed canvases captured the sailing and windsurfing events in the waters off Weymouth, he also painted rowing and three day eventing. Jeremy followed this up with solo shows in India and USA.
Anthony Garratt moved from a successful career as a graphic designer in London to sell out shows as an artist across the South of England. Last year Anthony was invited by the BBC to paint the Diamond Jubilee Pageant from the Millennium Bridge. So both artists have contributed in a major way to portraying memorable, historical events in 2012.
Interestingly, both artists have been inspired by the Dorset landscape. Anthony’s style depicts Dorset in dramatic mood with big skies, rough seas and a seemingly endless expanse of beach; whereas Jeremy uses watercolour to capture the movement of the sea and boats racing through the water. The exhibition is on from 3-31 May.
Hatch Gallery, 7a Church Street Christchurch BH23 1BW
Open: Tues - Sat 10am -4 pm
- 1 5 of the best places to visit in Cheshire this summer
- 2 Where to watch the Perseids meteor shower in East Anglia
- 3 5 wild swimming spots in Cheshire
- 4 Hoards of spider crabs on Cornish beaches are not a danger to the public
- 5 The incredible Cornish stone structures with an exceptional history
- 6 17 amazing experience days in Hampshire
- 7 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
- 8 4 of the best places for open water swimming in Hampshire
- 9 The 5 best spots for wild swimming in Somerset
- 10 Win a luxury 2-night Lake District getaway to the Skiddaw Hotel worth £500
For more information: hatchgallery.co.uk or call 01202 474644