How to produce stunning night photography from your garden
- Credit: Archant
Photo opportunities in the countryside may be a little limited while the lockdown is in effect, but you can find inspiration in the heavens.
The global pandemic of COVID-19 has meant the demand for air travel has fallen dramatically, leading to a short term drop in carbon emissions and pollution.
It has also meant clearer skies, but even if we have a bright sunny day, the keen photographers among us aren’t really going to be able to capture anything very far from our homes, due to the restrictions on travel.
However, you can get some great photo opportunities from the safety of your own garden, just not in the way you would normally think you would.
You can also take advantage of the clear skies after dark, where your shots will not be disrupted by passing planes, giving you a clear view of twilight.
One fascinating technique is the star trails effect that uses a long exposure and a fair amount of post-shoot editing.
It is a lot more time consuming than the usual point and click method, but one thing you will have in abundance during this lockdown is time.
- 1 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 2 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 3 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 4 Magical Christmas markets in Sussex 2021
- 5 Magical Christmas markets in Kent 2021
- 6 Win a theatre break in Manchester to see The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
- 7 The 15 best Christmas markets in Norfolk 2021
- 8 Magical Christmas markets in Suffolk 2021
- 9 The 11 best Christmas markets in Somerset 2021
- 10 Win a £5000 staycation in Cornwall
We recommend that you practice this from the safety of your garden or attic window for now and perfect your technique.
Once this lockdown is over, then the possiblity of camping overnight and taking photos next to a famous local landmark is a distinct possiblity.
Share your efforts with us on Facebook, Instagram or in the reader photo gallery in the Photos tab.
Stay home. Stay safe. Read your favourite magazine, for £5!
With your choice of print, digital, or both! Subscribe by Direct Debit or make a one off payment of 3 issues for only £5!
Keep your mind busy with a magazine, your way