Surrey Artist of the Year 2013 returns to Farnham for solo exhibition
- Credit: Archant
Playful Movement, an exhibition by Surrey Artist of the Year 2013 Janet Crook, comes to New Ashgate Gallery, Farnham from Saturday September 27 to Saturday October 25.
Janet makes small automations out of found objects, which she then develops into ceramic in an effort to make them last in curious hands.
She achieves this by using simple movements of nodding weighted heads on animals, or wings on fairies from knitted wire.
She is still experimenting with other more complicated movements and it keen to see what the next firing will bring.
After studying animation, Janet has shown at the British Film Festival (1987) and at the BAFTA awards in 1986.
Janet has also exhibited the Tate Gallery and has written music video story boards for bands such as Madness and Dire Straits.
Creating ceramic figures seemed like a natural progression from those models she made in her film production years.
- 1 Where and when to watch The Queen's Jubilee Flypast
- 2 Cotswold designers win big at Chelsea Flower Show in 2022
- 3 Devon and Cornwall folk star in new TV series
- 4 Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Celebrations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Waterfalls, Weirs and Cascades of the Peak District
- 6 Review: Chicago the Musical at Manchester Opera House
- 7 Queen's Platinum Jubilee: 13 events to celebrate in Cornwall
- 8 The life and death of Manchester Arena bombing victim Martyn Hett
- 9 What's on in Norfolk June 2022
- 10 10 Derbyshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
The Surrey Artist of the Year competition gives recognition to Surrey artists, practicing across the county.
The prize, now in its sixth year, celebrates the partnership between New Ashgate Gallery and Surrey Artists Open Studios.
The public was invited to vote during the Open Studios summer event and the artists with the most votes will be invited to showcase their work at the Surrey Artist of the Year exhibition this autumn.
• Janet Crook: Playful Movement at New Ashgate Gallery, Farnham from Saturday September 27 to Saturday October 25. More @ www.newashgate.org.uk