Surrey Artist of the Year 2015 exhibition at the New Ashgate Gallery in Farnham
- Credit: N/A
Eleven of the county’s most talented artists and craftspeople have been chosen to showcase their work in the Surrey Artist of the Year exhibition at the New Ashgate Gallery in Farnham this month.
Originally published in Surrey Life magazine October 2015
Celebrating the best of the county’s creative talent, the Surrey Artist of the Year competition has become one of the most important events in the local arts calendar. Each summer, during the Surrey Artists Open Studios event, the public are invited to vote for their favourite artists, and a selection of these are invited to display their work in this prestigious show. During the exhibition, members of the public are then invited to vote for the artist who will become the overall winner.
“The Surrey Artist of the Year competition has been close to my heart since I instigated the partnership with the New Ashgate Gallery back in 2009, when I was the Surrey Artists Open Studios coordinator,” says Caroline Jackman, interim director of the New Ashgate Gallery. “As the current director for the gallery, I am thrilled to welcome new talent and am very excited with this year’s selection.”
Last year’s winner was stained glass artist Rachel Mulligan, who says this year has been one of her best yet professionally.
“I was surprised and delighted to make it to the final of the Surrey Artist of the Year competition, and even more astonished to win!” says Rachel. “I have been participating in the Surrey Artists’ Open Studio event for 12 years now and 2014 was my most successful year yet.”
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 5 Win Castle Howard Prom Tickets & a VIP Hamper
- 6 8 great family walks in the North West
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 9 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 10 10 of the prettiest Villages in Dorset to visit
This year’s panel of judges includes Robert Moore of the Patricia Baines Trust; Jane McGibbon, Surrey Artists Open Studios coordinator; and Caroline Harrap, the editor of Surrey Life magazine.
• Surrey Artist of the Year Competition, New Ashgate Gallery, Waggon Yard, Farnham GU9 7PS, Friday October 9 until Saturday November 14. Tel: 01252 713208. Web: newashgate.org.uk