Surrey’s most influential film and television people: Movers and Shakers 2013
- Credit: Archant
In recent months, team Surrey Life has been busy speaking to our contributors and industry experts from around the county to get a feel for just who makes Surrey tick
Dame Judi Dench
Oscar-winning actress Dame Judi Dench’s seven-film James Bond tenure as M came to a close in a blaze of gunfire in Skyfall. The Outwood resident made her professional debut in 1957 with the Old Vic Company and has gone on to achieve equal acclaim for her performances on stage and screen in an awards-strewn career. The 78-year-old’s next film appearance is set to be in the Steve Coogan co-written Philomenia, which is tipped for release next year.
Sir David Attenborough
Once a year, Sir David Attenborough leads a wildlife lecture for the Environment Trust for Richmond upon Thames in his hometown. One of the world’s finest and best known naturalists, the 87-year-old’s career in broadcasting has spanned nearly five decades. From 1965 to 1968, he was controller of BBC2, during which time he introduced colour television to Britain. He then became director of programmes for the BBC from 1969 to 1972 before abandoning administration altogether in 1973 to return to documentary-making and writing. Sir David is also a trustee of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
Sir Bruce Forsyth
Finally knighted in 2011 (following years of campaigning by fans), entertainment legend and golfing fanatic Sir Bruce Forsyth has graced the fairways of Wentworth near his Virginia Water home nearly as often as he has screens over the years. Forsyth began his career in the spotlight as a teenager and is now best known as the host of Strictly Come Dancing, although the 85-year-old has joked recently about escaping the British weather to spend more time in Puerto Rico, where his wife of 30 years, Wilnelia, was born.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 8 of the best places for a bluebell walk in Surrey
- 3 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 4 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 5 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 6 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 7 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 8 7 magical bluebell walks in Devon
- 9 Bluebell walks in Suffolk: Beautiful spring woodlands to explore
- 10 Bluebell woods in Derbyshire: Top 5 places to go for woodland walks
Keep on moving
Of course, any such list is subjective and many more could have featured within these pages. Get in touch with your Movers & Shakers, the people who influence how we all live in Surrey, on facebook.com/SurreyLife and twitter.com/SurreyLife and maybe you’ll see them included next time round!