Take the horse on holiday: horse-friendly B&Bs in the UK
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
With more than 50 British Horse Society approved ‘Horse Welcome’ B&Bs in the UK, you can take your horse and explore
The Hertfordshire countryside is beautiful to explore, especially on horseback, but have you ever thought about travelling further afield with your horse?
If you’ve ever had visions of cantering along an empty beach or exploring new and exciting off-road routes, consider taking your horse on holiday and experience the joys of the British landscape on horseback.
There are more than 50 British Horse Society approved bed and breakfast accomodations throughout the UK that have special facilities to cater for horses, as well as two-legged guests of course. You can stay on the doorstep of Dartmoor National Park or explore the highlands of Scotland, with its endless miles of off-road tracks. There is something for everyone to enjoy and a full list of these guest houses is on the BHS website.
The scheme is the first of its kind for quality assured equine B&Bs. It began in 2006 and allows horse owners to enjoy all corners of the UK with their horse, with the knowledge that there will be a safe and comfortable place to stay for the night for both them and their equine friend.
The BHS inspects all ‘Horses Welcome B&B’ premises to ensure that the stabling, grazing and other facilities are of a suitable standard for visiting horses. Once a member, an establishment’s premises are inspected every three years to ensure that all accommodation is in top-top condition for your stay.
If you run a guest house and feel you have suitable equestrian facilities, then get in contact with the BHS team – there are lots of benefits to becoming an approved site.
Visit the BHS website for more,
- 1 Win a unique candles and country house prize
- 2 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 3 3 walks for foodies in Derbyshire
- 4 WIN flowers, chocolates and Prosecco for Valentine's Day
- 5 Win a relaxing spa stay for two at The QHotels Collection
- 6 10 best Kent restaurants to visit in 2022
- 7 This Devon walk takes in two pretty villages
- 8 The Hairy Bikers Go North to the Peak District
- 9 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest near the Peak District
- 10 12 of the best pubs in Essex for Sunday lunches
Herts horse diary
April 3 Braughing Park and Ride
April 10 Wheathampstead Park and Ride
April 17 Lilley Park and Ride
Full details of the routes, times and how to book a place are at bhs.org.uk