The 2017 Equi-Trek Bramham International Horse Trials - photo special
- Credit: Archant
Photographer Andy Bulmer shrugs off the rain to capture scenes from the international horse trials at Bramham for our picture special.
Three-time Olympian rider Yoshiaki Oiwa created eventing history by becoming the first Japanese to win at the Equi-Trek Bramham International Horse Trials and the first from Japan to win a CCI outside his home country.
Oiwa jumped from third to first on Bramham’s final day on board Calle II with Britain’s Gemma Tattersall and Quicklook V taking second place. He hopes his win, along with fourth spot for compatriot Toshiyuki Tanaka and Talma D Allou, will inspire other riders in Japan to dream big and train hard.
When asked what’s next for Calle, Yoshi said: ‘We will continue competing him at three-star this year. We’re heading back to Germany and will then make plans for the rest of the year.’
Gemma Tattersall was not happy with runner-up position. ‘I’m absolutely gutted. She [the horse] is as surprised as anyone to have a jump down. It’s her first showjumping fault at a CCI. But it’s still second at Bramham, I’ll just have to come back next year! I hope to be selected for the Europeans with her; she’s a really good championship horse. She’ll have a bit of a break but then will be gearing up for selection.’
French rider Sebastien Cavaillon who fell on the cross country has had the first of two operations to mend damage to his pelvic area and is expected to make a full recovery. His horse, Sarah D’Argouges, was uninjured.
It was an exciting finish to the Bishop Burton CCI*** U25. Will Furlong had two fences in hand after the cross country and he needed them both after runners-up Gina Ruck and Rehy Too put the pressure on with a fast clear round. However, after such a strong cross country performance yesterday it was a deserved win for Will and his own Collien P2 who are now crowned U25 National Champions.
For full results go to bramham-horse.co.uk.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Win a fabulous free-range Morton's Norfolk turkey for Christmas!
- 3 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 4 12 great things to do in Tiverton
- 5 It’s a Cotswold hat-trick at Chelsea!
- 6 8 charming market towns you need to visit in Somerset
- 7 You can stay at this adorable Winnie the Pooh 'Bearbnb' in Sussex
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 10 Meet this year's Yorkshire contestant for the Great British Bake Off