The Horse at War: 1914–1918 at The Lightbox, Woking
- Credit: TBC
The Lightbox gallery and museum in Woking is commemorating the centenary of the First World War with a spectacular new exhibition titled The Horse at War: 1914–1918.
In addition to the tragic loss of human life in the First World War, eight million horses lost their lives in the same brutal conditions. This exhibition explores how the horse was depicted in war by some of the leading British artists of the day, including William Roberts, Sir Alfred Munnings and Lucy Kemp-Welch.
“The exhibition is multi-layered, providing glimpses of both reality and fiction in the depiction of the horse in World War One, from the heroic charger to the humble beast of burden, from the home front to the battlefield,” says curator Michael Regan.
The exhibition has a unique layout, combining contemporary elements with original works by artists present in the battlefield. Taking centre stage is ‘Joey’, the life-size horse puppet from the National Theatre’s acclaimed stage production of War Horse, on temporary loan from the Victoria and Albert Museum. Also featured are drawings of War Horse by illustrator and theatre designer, Rae Smith. In addition, a social history display of documents, newspaper reports and other poignant items recalls the role of horses and other animals, both on the Front and more locally in Surrey, during the First World War.
• The Horse at War: 1914–1918, The Lightbox, Chobham Road, Woking GU21 4AA. Tuesday November 25 to Sunday March 1, 2015. For more information, see the website: thelightbox.org.uk
- 1 Slade star's wife gets two-book deal – without trading on her famous name
- 2 The life and death of Manchester Arena bombing victim Martyn Hett
- 3 Cotswold designers win big at Chelsea Flower Show in 2022
- 4 Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Celebrations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Win a Dunlopillo king size diamond mattress worth £2,500 from Peter Betteridge
- 6 Win a Stay at The Merchant's Yard, Tideswell in the Peak District
- 7 10 Yorkshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 22 fab half term and Jubilee activities in Devon
- 9 10 Derbyshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Noddy Holder's wife: my guide to being married to a rock star
More about war horses
5 more art exhibitions in Surrey this month
• Lingwood Samuel Art is an exciting new space for art and craft in a Grade II listed building in Godalming, featuring work from over 20 artists. Their Christmas exhibition runs from Friday November 7 to Wednesday December 24: lingwoodsamuelart.com
• Beryl Hole and Jill Storey present porcelain and stoneware ceramics with watercolours and pastels in their joint exhibition at the Fountain Gallery, East Molesey, from Tuesday November 11 to Sunday November 23: fountaingallery.co.uk
• A wide range of styles and watercolour treatments are included in the prestigious Sunday Times Watercolour Exhibition, which takes place at Guildford House
Gallery from Friday November 14 to Wednesday December 3: guildford.gov.uk
• Molesey Art Society presents an exciting collection of paintings, sculpture, greeting cards, crafts and pottery at their Christmas exhibition on Saturday November 15 and Sunday November 16 at St Alban’s School, East Molesey: moleseyartsociety.co.uk
• Weybridge Art Society will be holding their much-anticipated Christmas Exhibition at the Weybridge Hall, Weybridge, from Friday November 28 to Sunday November 30: weybridgeartsociety.com